Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The basics
My truck has over 100,000 miles. Has had all scheduled maintenance done it entire life. Basically very well cared for.

I am a Firefighter/EMT. I was headed to a call the other day when my truck cranked like hell but wouldn't fire. I finally out of frustration mashed the pedal and it fired and reved up and then died. I cranked again and it fired and ran fine the rest of the day. It has since done this about 4 times. It has also died after putting it in gear twice this week. It hasnt given me any check engine light codes. I have plenty of fuel, the inline filter was changed about 10000 miles ago. My battery is 6 months old and very fresh. The starter cranks like hell. It is just acting like it isnt getting fuel quickly enough.

Any ideas? I dont live near a real auto shop or a toyota dealer. I have access to a code reader but the CEL hasnt come one. I know my way around this truck but I dont have any ideas where to start with this.

Thanks for the help,
Zach

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Mine has cranked without starting a handful of times. Once I cycle the key, it starts up and runs fine. I've read that others have experienced it occasionally also. As far as I know, noone has found the cause. The engine has also died 2 or 3 times after putting it in gear, but I think it was just cuz I was in a hurry. I hit the key and immediately put it in R while it was still cranking... If that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The one part of the nation where reliability is an absolute necessity.........
If you have access to the tools, do a fuel pressure test. Change the filter. If you have an Amsoil dealer toss in a couple bottles of P.I. Performance Improver, twice what you normally need to clean and get rid of water in the tank and system.
You said it is mantained, but have you replaced the timing belt yet? Unlikely it slipped a notch.
Is your battery and charging system up to snuff? The entire system runs off the alternator but it has to start first and a battery that cranks miy not have enough extra poop to run everything else.
Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts