Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the vehicle sits for a day or two and you turn the key to start, the engine just cranks and cranks. Turn the key off and try to start it again...not a problem and it starts right up. Any time during the day or sometimes even the next day it also starts right away.
Very frustrating! Anyone who has any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Try turning the key to the ON position for 5-10 seconds before cranking. You could be losing fuel pressure when the truck is turned off. By turning the key ON before actually cranking it will turn on the fuel pump. Might not be your issue but it is certainly the first thing I would look at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks something to definitely try. Since this is a new problem, is there a way to not lose fuel pressure. Since I'm retired, I don't use the vehicle every day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks something to definitely try. Since this is a new problem, is there a way to not lose fuel pressure. Since I'm retired, I don't use the vehicle every day.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If that is the issue than it indicates a problem with your fuel pump or some other part of the fuel system. In that situation, personally, I'd just continue to give the pump a chance to bring the fuel pressure back up before cranking. Eventually it'll fail but could be awhile. I had a similar issue come up on a Honda Pilot. Around 80k miles later my buddy (who bought the pilot off me) is still turning the key on for a few seconds before cranking. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If that is the issue than it indicates a problem with your fuel pump or some other part of the fuel system. In that situation, personally, I'd just continue to give the pump a chance to bring the fuel pressure back up before cranking. Eventually it'll fail but could be awhile. I had a similar issue come up on a Honda Pilot. Around 80k miles later my buddy (who bought the pilot off me) is still turning the key on for a few seconds before cranking. Your mileage may vary.
Of course you're 100% correct, it would better and less expensive to see if I can get away with not doing anything except waiting a few seconds. I'll let it sit another day or so and let you know whether waiting was the answer. Thanks again!

·
Registered
71 Posts
took me a long time to get used to doing this (waiting for pump to prime) on my g35. got tired of living with it and changed my fuel pressure regulator. i looked around and don't see many/any threads of similar problems on the sequoia. fairly common on the G35.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts