Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know about the 2000 starter contacts problem, this isn't the same thing. In 03 they changed the starting system. You don't have to hold the key to get the truck to crank over. Just turn the key to start and it will crank until it starts.

It seems like if it doesn't have the exact voltage that it needs it won't even try to crank, it's just dead.

Is there a way to bypass this stupid auto start? Or whatever is worn out can I replace it?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know somebody has had to have run into this problem with their 03 or newer. Even if you don't have the resolution, please post up if you're having the same problem.

I will resolve this one way or another. Even if I have to put in a push button switch. I need to know my truck will start every time!!!!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Have you checked your battery and all the connections. I would do that before digging in any further.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked your battery and all the connections. I would do that before digging in any further.
That's just the problem. If the connections aren't perfect it doesn't start. If it didn't have that auto start deal it would just crank slowly, not leave me stranded. My guess is that there is some type of computer chip which holds the contacts closed for a pre determined amount of time, I need to bypass that. I would rather continue using the key, but if I have to I will install a push button.

I have changed the battery and all cables a couple times and still have the problem. It has actually become worse over time. I've had the truck since brand new. It started to happen only a couple years after I bought the truck. It's just annoying to have to replace this stuff all the time.

Any toyota techs out there know how to bypass the auto start circuit?

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I know about the 2000 starter contacts problem, this isn't the same thing. In 03 they changed the starting system. You don't have to hold the key to get the truck to crank over. Just turn the key to start and it will crank until it starts.

It seems like if it doesn't have the exact voltage that it needs it won't even try to crank, it's just dead.

Is there a way to bypass this stupid auto start? Or whatever is worn out can I replace it?
The auto start uses a relay called "ST Relay" which is located in the fuse box under the hood. Looking at the schematic for the V8, if you pulled the relay and jumpered where pins 3 and 5 were (the two that do not go to the relay coil) the starter would spin if there was enough power in the battery. You might try a heavy paper clip. If you do that, the juice should flow from the + on the battery, through the 30 amp ST3 fuse, through the paper clip, to the starter and to ground. The key does not have to be on to do this but the truck will not start, just crank. This is a lot of current we are talking about so I would use insulated pliers and just briefly make the connection.
To determine if it is a power problem, I would try to start the truck with the lights on and see if they go really dim when you try to start the truck. I am guessing the relay has nothing to do with your problem but it is hard to determine w/o looking at the truck.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The auto start uses a relay called "ST Relay" which is located in the fuse box under the hood. Looking at the schematic for the V8, if you pulled the relay and jumpered where pins 3 and 5 were (the two that do not go to the relay coil) the starter would spin if there was enough power in the battery. You might try a heavy paper clip. If you do that, the juice should flow from the + on the battery, through the 30 amp ST3 fuse, through the paper clip, to the starter and to ground. The key does not have to be on to do this but the truck will not start, just crank. This is a lot of current we are talking about so I would use insulated pliers and just briefly make the connection.
To determine if it is a power problem, I would try to start the truck with the lights on and see if they go really dim when you try to start the truck. I am guessing the relay has nothing to do with your problem but it is hard to determine w/o looking at the truck.
some real answers!!!!Thank you. It's nice just to have this as back up. I will poke around under there and see if I can find anything unusual. Where did you get your schematic?

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I bought the manuals back in 03. Did you find the problem yet?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the manuals back in 03. Did you find the problem yet?
I changed the terminals on the battery. The ones I was using were a little flimsy, the part that sandwiched the cables just bent and wouldn't allow the cable to squeeze down tight.

Nontheless it should never come to this. Just because the cable is a little loose it shouldn't just die. It should just crank slowly.

What I figure I'm going to do is just run a jumper directly off my starter. If it ever doesn't start I'll just directly hotwire the starter with the key on.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't know if it's in the key, but to change it over you need an ignition switch with a starter contact position. From there you
may have to change a wire or the starter relay. It's going to take a peek at the wiring diagrams to figure it out quick.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, so I thought this was resolved. it went almost a week without the no start problem. yesterday it reared it's ugly head! I tried to start it like 30 times. finally it started!!!! I was pretty pissed.

today I tried something, as posted above I jumper'd two poles, not sure which they are in schematics, I'll shoot pics when I get a chance. The starter cranks when you do this. My guess is the st relay is bad:mad: $90 at autozone! I'm gonna try and tap it next time it won't start.

BTW, I tried to start it with the relay out and it does the exact same thing as the intermittent no start.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I changed the terminals on the battery. The ones I was using were a little flimsy, the part that sandwiched the cables just bent and wouldn't allow the cable to squeeze down tight.

Nontheless it should never come to this. Just because the cable is a little loose it shouldn't just die. It should just crank slowly.

What I figure I'm going to do is just run a jumper directly off my starter. If it ever doesn't start I'll just directly hotwire the starter with the key on.
This is statment and electricity will take the easiest path to ground are two of the most incorrect statements in electronics. Cranking a starter takes 12 volts and a lot of amps. Anything less and it wont crank. At 11.7 volts your battery is dead. So a bad connection can and will cause many headaches. Check all connections and make sure your battery is in good shape. Running a 12 volt battery with loose or bad connections is very hard on them.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
ok, so I thought this was resolved. it went almost a week without the no start problem. yesterday it reared it's ugly head! I tried to start it like 30 times. finally it started!!!! I was pretty pissed.

today I tried something, as posted above I jumper'd two poles, not sure which they are in schematics, I'll shoot pics when I get a chance. The starter cranks when you do this. My guess is the st relay is bad:mad: $90 at autozone! I'm gonna try and tap it next time it won't start.

BTW, I tried to start it with the relay out and it does the exact same thing as the intermittent no start.
How did you get the relay out? I went to pull mine to take a look and pulled pretty hard on it but it did not budge. I was afraid I would break something.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
Sometimes you have to use flat screwdriver to pull those relays out.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Sometimes you have to use flat screwdriver to pull those relays out.
Thanks Gene. I would try that if I were the one having trouble. Since mine is fine, I think I will just forget it for now. No use in risking breaking something expensive when it all works well. No use taking a chance on the :histthefan:

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
:lol: There is a way to bypass that auto start feature. All you have to is remove that starter relay and connect 2 pins. So you will able to control your starter with a key ;)

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
:lol: There is a way to bypass that auto start feature. All you have to is remove that starter relay and connect 2 pins. So you will able to control your starter with a key ;)
From the way I read the schematic, jumping those 2 pins just cranks the truck, even without the key being on. It looks like the original poster did that already and his starter spins so he thinks it is the relay. Are we talking about the same pins? I know you know way more than most about these trucks.:noidea:

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I don't remember exactly how I did it. But I've converted my truck to automatic start (about 2 years ago). So don't remember everything now, but I will look at schematics again and post here next week sometimes.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts