Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed 2.0 coil overs on my truck 1.5 years ago. Had a clunk in the front end recently. Asked my mechanic to look at it. He found the coil on the drives side had completely cracked through. See attached photos. Luckily, it cracked at the bottom and the coil pinched the broken piece and it has not come out.

Wheelers Off Road and Sway-a-way both said I was outside the 1 year warranty and they would not replace them for free. I was offered distributor pricing, not including shipping.

The coil springs are supplied by Eibach. Eibach has a "Million-Mile" Warranty. I am not sure where a million mile warranty is cut down to one year.

ARB offers a 2 year warranty on their coil-overs.

I only drive off-road a few times a year, mostly dirt trails and fields. No abuse.

Sway-A-Way mission statement contains "Based on a heritage of hardcore racing, every Sway-A-Way product is designed and manufactured to uncompromised levels of excellence."

I find this failure unacceptable. A major mechanical failure 6 months outside the warranty does not meet uncompromised levels of excellence in my mind.

Attachments

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I agree... the finish didn't even hold up. I would let them know that you're a member of the largest Tundra forum, and you'd be happy to tell everyone there NOT TO BUY THEIR PRODUCT... and likewise, you'd be more than happy to tell everyone how STANDUP THEIR COMPANY IS if they agree to take care of the issue. Maybe they'll reconsider?

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
I agree... the finish didn't even hold up. I would let them know that you're a member of the largest Tundra forum, and you'd be happy to tell everyone there NOT TO BUY THEIR PRODUCT... and likewise, you'd be more than happy to tell everyone how STANDUP THEIR COMPANY IS if they agree to take care of the issue. Maybe they'll reconsider?
But the issue would be that how much did he use the coilover and how often in a offroad nature...and that wouldnt affect sway away from the happy owners that use their product currently...i think its the warranty he is getting dooped on...they should honor that...but i have seen many many trucks break in the desert same way coils broken mean there was way to much pressure coming down on that shock and also light offroading and just crapped out. Bottom line shocks break but its the warranty that helps that out soooo i wouldnt know what else to say...but it wouldnt be telling people that their product sucks and to stay away from sway away<------- LOL thats funny....and too edit and add i have learned just to switch companies if something like this happens and you personally arent happy....and they wont honor there warranty however its hard to warranty a shock that broke doing something extreme over over over like i said its gonna break eventually ...but it could mean your sway away shock broke and those eibachs said nooooooo and broke.

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
I installed 2.0 coil overs on my truck 1.5 years ago. Had a clunk in the front end recently. Asked my mechanic to look at it. He found the coil on the drives side had completely cracked through. See attached photos. Luckily, it cracked at the bottom and the coil pinched the broken piece and it has not come out.

Wheelers Off Road and Sway-a-way both said I was outside the 1 year warranty and they would not replace them for free. I was offered distributor pricing, not including shipping.

The coil springs are supplied by Eibach. Eibach has a "Million-Mile" Warranty. I am not sure where a million mile warranty is cut down to one year.

ARB offers a 2 year warranty on their coil-overs.

I only drive off-road a few times a year, mostly dirt trails and fields. No abuse.

Sway-A-Way mission statement contains "Based on a heritage of hardcore racing, every Sway-A-Way product is designed and manufactured to uncompromised levels of excellence."

I find this failure unacceptable. A major mechanical failure 6 months outside the warranty does not meet uncompromised levels of excellence in my mind.
How did it break or i guess what were you doing when it broke.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
...i wouldnt know what else to say...but it wouldnt be telling people that their product sucks and to stay away from sway away<------- LOL thats funny........
Just a negotiation tool... some companies pride themselves on owner satisfaction & reputation, so saying you're gonna tell the world about them not standing behind their product MAY have some leverage.

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
Just a negotiation tool... some companies pride themselves on owner satisfaction & reputation, so saying you're gonna tell the world about them not standing behind their product MAY have some leverage.
I dont know though...for like that coil i see broken would not stop me from buying sway away it would make me look at there warranty and what not then go from there you know this is one case out of im sure more than 100,000 applications i mean you also have to think about what was going on when they broke warranty doesnt cover all aspects of something that gets used ALL the time you know....

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
Oh by the way i just read Sway aways disclaimer...and warranty...Its one year from purchase not 1.5 years like he had said and also if a dealer or reseller makes you another warranty offer sway away does not honor that...so like i said shocks and coils break...also they reserve the right to void any warranty on racing applications...hence those coil overs are racing applications more than likely is what they consider them to be....im not so sure that they just broke while driving around town...?

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I get what ur sayin Krew... but, say this guy tells everyone on the forum that their product breaks and the company doesn't stand behind it (because their warranty is, well, questionably short???) and let's say it causes just 100 people to buy something different instead of the Sway product. And, let's say that Sway makes $100 profit off each sale... That's potentially $10,000 in lost-profit, because they won't spend $50 (their profit amount) to replace his spring.

(That's just hypothetical numbers, of course!)

If their customer service people thought the same way I do, and he told them he was gonna spread the news... it MAY be enough leverage to help his cause. It's worth a shot anyhow. I b!tch to customer service people all the time, with probably a 75% success rate. If it doesn't work, I cut my losses and go somewhere else.

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
I see what your saying to but i will still have to say it would not stop me from buying a pair of shocks....if it was a cell phone...or a computer....even a tv hell yea i wouldnt boycott that ISH but not on shocks or tires or leaf springs after more than a 1 and 1/2 years of use....hell my toyota right front shock blew out and that was at 15,000 miles i just replaced it cause its not worth the struggle...but i would not tell toyota tundra owners that toyota warranty sucks and 15,000 my shock blew thats all im trying to say...most shocks arent good for more than 75,000 miles with out having to be rebuilt...and he had sway aways which more than likely were not rebuilt...

·
Registered
655 Posts
i can speak from past issues with sway away,i USE to sell there crap "and yes i mean crap" i had nothing but problems with them.to give them some credit,the rear shackle and shock kit for the 07+ tundra is bad a$$,those are bullet proof,but thats about it. "still better then a spacer tho!!"lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use the truck very lightly off-road. Dirt roads and trails just to get to my hunting spots. My suspension gets more abuse from your average pot-holes than off road. They broke just driving around town.

I do not know exactly when it broke. I never heard a pop or bang that caught my attention. So it must of happened going over a bump or pot hole. I do not have any alignment problems or bent tie-rods. So it is not like I hit a monster pot hole or road debris.

I just happened to diagnose the damage at 1.5 years.

The springs are made by Eibach for SAW. The broken spring is a 13" x 650 lbs. SAW told me Eibach does not make that size anymore because it is "unusual", not because of any issues with it. The new springs are 14" x 650s lbs.

My factory springs lasted for over 5 years under the same conditions (and did not fail). I replaced them with the SAW for a better ride and slight lift. I do not see how a race-proven product could fail in less than 1.5 years under daily-driver conditions. I expected the SAW coil overs to be a improvement to the durability of my truck, not a weakness.

I did not argue with them too much on the phone. I have a lot of other things going on right now. I did not need to sour the deal ~$150 including shipping for 2 new springs to get it over with. The worst part is the removal, installation, and new front end alignment $$$$$. The 1 year warranty would not of covered that anyway.

My brother is on the 4-runner forums, my friend is on the FJ forums. I am getting my message out. Maybe it will catch the eye of someone from Sway-a-way.

·
Registered
943 Posts
The spring breaking is not sway aways fault. Those springs are Eibach springs made by Eibach not sway away. But you already know that :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Krew- when you have seen other coils break, is it a clean-straight break, or jagged? The crack I have almost looks clean, like it is where two pieces of coil were welded together and the weld broke. I will have a better look when I take it off next weekend.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Have you talked to anyone at SAW or Eibach other than the first CSR that answers the phone? I would send emails to both, with pictures, and see what happens.

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
well its always different...when i seen trucks that brake racing its always from just rampid abuse the coil might have a clean break or a jagged break but in your case it...honestly it looks like weathering and a jagged break and that coil decided to just snap its really not the company that built the coil or the shock and the coil cannot be welded so that would not be the case...i have a friend and his long travel 05 tundra has sway all around...keep in mind he is running a Donahoe racing built suspension but he has run that thing to the ground for 5 years no breaks on anything...just keeps the shock mantained by rebuilding them to uphold the shock to the correct specs....i think you just got a bad coil from eibach its really no big deal in the respect that it happens all the time in the desert...people my say what they want about sway away but its a solid company and alongside that eibach is also...sorry that the warranty issues are crap but, get new shocks try king, radflo,or even camburg built coilovers both have great warranty on them for of course the un race warranty...hope this helps

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sorry to hear they won't help you out. But that said, SAW's and other coilovers are race technology that we happen to use on the street. It's a tradeoff that they'll need more maintenance than OEM gear, but performance is the tradeoff. Just pick up a new set of springs, throw 'em on, along with a Firestone lifetime alignment and call it good. I bet your next set of springs will last the life of your truck. I've got ~80K on my SAW's on my Taco without ANY issues.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Good customer relations should be to honor the warranty. My two

1 - 20 of 23 Posts