Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Rock Warrior
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took the Rock to the local McGee dealership for a tranny fluid and filter change. When I arrived and started the paperwork, he says "your here for a flush". I stated no, I am here for a fluid and filter change, and I was told that is 278.00 plus tax.
He proceeds to tell me that:
A) Toyota does not do changes on sealed transmissions, they flush them.....properly.
B) I have no transmission filter.
I say ok....makes you responsible if ANTHING happens.

Twenty minutes later, they come out and say: 1) Drain plug/gasket is stripped and needs replaced 2) Overfill plug/gasket needs replaced 3) I will need an additional 4 quarts due to replacing the drain plug, and the cost total will now be $474.00 plus tax.
My exact words were "aint now way I am paying you that much for a f...... fluid change. Just change the fluids like I came in for, and use the same bolts and washers, as they have never been removed, so If they are stripped either you or the factory did it."
Finished truck 2.5 hours later and it 375 plus tax. We went round around for about 40 minutes over extra fuild and bolts, and I just said fine, you got and extra hundred out of me. I just won't be back.
:mad::poop:

·
Registered
60 Posts
WOW! What a BURN... I have a 2002 and the transmission filter and gasket was less than $25 from Rock Auto. Official Toyota auto trans fluid goes anywhere from $7 to $20 a quart. (Do a Google search). The original gasket was the form a gasket goo.
My son, a Toyota guy told me not to change the fluid, "just cuz". I changed the filter and fluid and found old fluid to be a bit dark and had a slight odor. There are also videos on You Tube demonstrating the process. My Tundra had 178,000 miles on it.
I realize that this process does not flush out the torque converter of old fluid. If you are concerned you can but the cheaper fluid, drain and replace fluid, run the truck around the block a couple of times then drop the pan and change out the filter, gasket and add more expensive fluid. I don't know what year your truck is, but this was my experience.
When the dealer gave me the first quote I would have said, "Your nuts, have a nice day", and flew out the door. . . Chap

·
Registered
2011 Rock Warrior
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What got me was the “ it doesn’t have a filter “. I would have done it myself, but with my back surgery and recent HA, I just didn’t feel like doing it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I took the Rock to the local McGee dealership for a tranny fluid and filter change. When I arrived and started the paperwork, he says "your here for a flush". I stated no, I am here for a fluid and filter change, and I was told that is 278.00 plus tax.
A) Toyota does not do changes on sealed transmissions, they flush them.....properly.

Twenty minutes later, they come out and say: 1) Drain plug/gasket is stripped and needs replaced 2) Overfill plug/gasket needs replaced 3) I will need an additional 4 quarts due to replacing the drain plug, and the cost total will now be $474.00 plus tax.
My exact words were "aint now way I am paying you that much for a f...... fluid change. Just change the fluids like I came in for, and use the same bolts and washers, as they have never been removed, so If they are stripped either you or the factory did it."
Finished truck 2.5 hours later and it 375 plus tax. We went round around for about 40 minutes over extra fuild and bolts, and I just said fine, you got and extra hundred out of me. I just won't be back.
I sure wish this could have ended differently. At a minimum I'd like the address of that dealership so that I NEVER go there. This crap always happens to the nice customers...those LOUD ones always get the charges waived. So that's a big compliment to you Sir.

When these kids tell you "it's sealed" or has "no filter". What they mean is "we dont service them" because there's no money in it.
They prefer the big rebuild job .
The smarter you are the more they can just irk a guy or gal.

So I get the part about losing another gallon of fluid....but the issue is now we have evidence.
They did the work (stripped out the plug) did not notice anything filled the trans...then they saw it dripping.
Now they have to lose the gallon of new fluid while they un-booger their horrible work.
Awful dealership to pin that on you.
Sorry man. Glad you are out of there.

·
Registered
2011 Rock Warrior
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the compliment.
It’s in Hanover Ma...Where I bought my 2011 Rock in 2010.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A Big Red warning flag.. In my area Midas does a complete AT fluid exchange using a machine that even gets the fluid in the torque converter. Last year I had my wife's Kia, done which is a sealed system, not even a dip stick. Service was on sale and was $99 including fluid replacement. I totally understand the bed back issue, I have been dealing with that for 43 years. Thanks for the reminder to get a reasonable quote from anyone who is going to work on our stuff... Chap

·
Registered
12 Posts

Some of these 'stealers' are doing Toyota more harm than their own mistakes. I went in for a rusted frame check/tretment and while there I was 'informed' that my truck had a broken spring. I later told my own mechanic to check it out, he said "must have been change-springs-day there, ain't nothing wrong with yours!". Toyota Canama ain't any better, the frame check/treatment invite was mailed to me based on the vehicle #: "our records indicate that... blah-blah-blah". No sooner was the truck in the shop they told me that according to HAL the frame check/treatment had already been performed by a dealer (previous owner I guiess) but it looks like an oil-change is due since 3 years ago (and after that came the broken spring bit). So I asked them if the system showed the frame check/tratment already done then how come I got the mail anyway to come in for one? The answer passed the buck to head-orifice. Puke city. (BTW I have my own frame oiling done every year, and not just the frame either).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts