Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new wheel tire combo come spring time, and I'm getting my ideas ahead of time. When it comes to trucks I've always liked a wide aggressive stance with the wheels sticking noticeably outward (not ridiculously so). I learned recently that the tundra can't wear 15 inchers without hitting the caliper, so I've been looking at my options for 16" wheels. Most don't jut out that far, and I'd also like to run 285/75r16 tires, so I'd definitely need some offset to prevent rubbing ( I have some billy 5100's on the 2 inch setting up front at the moment).

I found these though, what do you guys think? They're cheap, cool looking (always liked the aggressive rock crawler look), and probably very durable. Also, with a 2.5" backspace they'll surely stick out there.

Rock Crawler Series 52 Gloss Black Powder Wheel-RH2

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Those are nice wheels. I've always like the one with the simulated bedlock with the bolts. They will be heavy though. My firestones are around 60lbs each per tire and add the weight of steel wheels it will be noticable on power. Oh, and yes you can fit 15's on our trucks! A recent post comfirms you can, but you have to use wheel spacers and find the right back spacing to go with the spacers so it does not stick out to far.

Here's that post: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/203763-15-wheel-fits-spacer-tell-me/

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
2.5" is too extreme. You need something closer to 4'' of backspace. Those are cool wheels, but like Derek said, they are heavy. I run aluminum wheels, and with my 285s I found they weigh 89lbs each, compared to 56lbs for stock wheel/265s.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Explain to me why it would be too extreme. Again, I'd prefer the wheels stick out a little, that doesn't bother me. Plus, the recent post about running 15 inch rims on a tundra quoted the specs as "15x6 steel wheel, 3.75 backspacing, 1.5" billet wheel spacer." Now maybe I'm getting this wrong, but wouldn't that be a total of 2.25 inches of backspace? And the wheels I posted are 2.5", and 2 inches wider, therefore would poke out a little more, but if you look at his pictures his 15x6's are just barely poking out as it is. Another inch out or whatever would be nothing drastic.

Now again, I've never really calculated this stuff, so don't flame me if I'm forgetting something crucial. Thanks for your help!

I don't mind the heavy factor too much, these are going to be trail rims and tires, and probably won't be run all the time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Since I bought my Tundra 6 months ago, I've gone through 2 sets of wheels already. Bought them used on CL, but then change my mind later. Anyway, my last set was before I had lifted with the Bilstein 5100, so they rub slightly. Now that my truck is lifted, I really wish I had kept them.

They were 18x10 with 4.5" backspacing. So basically, they would stick out about 2", similar to what you're doing given the wheels I had were 10" wide. Indeed they were wide, but they do look aggressive. Attaching 2 pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Explain to me why it would be too extreme. Again, I'd prefer the wheels stick out a little, that doesn't bother me. Plus, the recent post about running 15 inch rims on a tundra quoted the specs as "15x6 steel wheel, 3.75 backspacing, 1.5" billet wheel spacer." Now maybe I'm getting this wrong, but wouldn't that be a total of 2.25 inches of backspace?
Having 2.5" of backspace and running 285/75s will rub your body and front bumper, because it is pushing the center of the rim outward, and making the path of tire pivot run wide. It may only happen at full lock, but setting yourself up for such a nuisance isn't recommended. I'd try to stay 3.5" to 4" on backspace.

As far as I know the member with the 15''s hasn't driven on his truck with that wheel/tire combo. I'm interested in the results.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, thanks Tundrunk. I just want to make sure I've got a pretty wide stance, and 3.5" of offset should still do that. Do you know that 3.5" to 4.0" will pretty much eliminate most rubbing? I don't mind a little bit, but too much obviously isn't desirable. I'm actually going to pick up some 285/75r16 dayton mud terrains later this week (if this guy keeps his promise to hold them til thursday)...so once I get some steelies I guess we'll see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts