Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Toyota sequoia, steering wheel was removed and put back a few degrees off, enough to register DTC C1231, Im getting no read outs from the sensor, not sure if its broken or improperly aligned. My understanding is that the 2001 toyotas didnt have the full sweep sensors and since it wont let me run the zero point configuration, its not working.

I have the FSM, for the tundra and there is no Steering Angle Sensor depicted in the manual simply side notes on its function and the zero point config.

Anyone have any experience replacing or aligning this 380+ dollar part? any info on its function, installation and syncing would be much appreciated.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well given the lack of response on here, coupled with a general lack of schematics and info in the FSM, I decided to give it a final stab before bringing it to the dealer and facing a $500 bill (90 diagnositic, 380 sensor, 30 ZPC)
I removed the whole steering column assembly by disconnecting it from the bottom coupling shaft which has a 12mm screw.
there is a plastic ring affixed to the steering column at the bottom, it has a plastic tab sticking out of it marking the 12 o'clock position. this sensor is very similar to a clock spring that has a certian amount of turns, so you must recenter by turning it in the correct position.
Remember, when the column is out, keep it locked or yu may accidentally spin it ruining both the sensor and the clock spring.
in the picture below, the tab with the Sharpie outline is NOT the indicator tap, the indicator tab is on the other side closer to the steering wheel, and i was unable to get a picture of it.
Once the tab is in the 12:00 position, lock the steering column, crawl under the car, remove the two 12mm bolts that secure the lower ujoint off the steering rack. remove the 3 bolts that hold the plastic cover to the firewall, now pull the ujoint coupling off the steering rack, and attach the steering column to it. The point here is to work from the steering column down to the steering rack, so you dont have to remove the steering rack and get an alignment.
The column output and the intermediary shafts are all notched so they only go in one way, once you have that in rest the column assembly on the seat (careful not to ruin the clock spring and multiswitch levers), then go under the car and attach the ujoint coupler to the steering rack input shaft. make sure everything is perfectly straight at this point, if its not remove the coupler and try it again. It helps to have someone hold the steering wheel/column straight while you do this.
then bolt it all back up, and preform the ZPC procedure on a level surface.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Great job! That is more than I'd want to handle. I would've forced the shop to re-do it since they were the ones that decided to just adjust the steering wheel and throw it all off. Glad it all worked out and the FSM actually worked!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might have spoke too soon.
On the drive shortly after this procedure, doing 25-30mp, straight, no gradient, all of a sudden the TRAC / VSC kicked in and it was as if i hit a large patch of ice. i thougth nothing of it, perhaps the VSC learning after the reset.
It happened two more time till finally the the TRAC and VSC lights came on, and now its the same 1231 code, with very little real time data coming from the sensor during a road test and the ZPC will not work.

I believe this is the result of the steering wheel being removed and reseated 20 degrees off, and like a clock spring those 20 degrees meant that end to end the senor was turned out of its maximum, breaking it. thats the only thing i could think of considering that it worked for a while and then stopped.

anyone have a steering sensor they would like to sell?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2002 sequoia. I need a new steering angle sensor my 4 wheel drive won't engage! Toyota have the part back logged since oct/13 it's oct/14 now! Any one have any sensors or a way to engage my 4 wheel drive? Winter coming and I'm screwed. Please help!
Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Same issue here, after a
Steeringrack busgings, did alignment, zpc will not work skid controll all the time when corners 25 -30 mph and up.
Tried techstream zpc, put it on zero. And got trown back tot 338 degrees all te time. Lowerd the steering angle and hardware twist it back to 0 degrees, trows is back to 338 degrees. Weird... looks like its broken maybe, but read a lot of problems ecu not accwpting a new zpc. So i tried 2004 ecu update, perhaps that would make the difference. Paid techinfo $55,- got thr file, i reads the ecu, but wil not write...
Now i go iut to remove thr steering wheel, and remove the sas and open it to see if all is looking good inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia 4x4 Limited
494 Posts
The simplest way to disable the VSC system is to unplug the grey connector on the brake fluid reservoir.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Same issue here, after a
Steeringrack busgings, did alignment, zpc will not work skid controll all the time when corners 25 -30 mph and up.
Tried techstream zpc, put it on zero. And got trown back tot 338 degrees all te time. Lowerd the steering angle and hardware twist it back to 0 degrees, trows is back to 338 degrees. Weird... looks like its broken maybe, but read a lot of problems ecu not accwpting a new zpc. So i tried 2004 ecu update, perhaps that would make the difference. Paid techinfo $55,- got thr file, i reads the ecu, but wil not write...
Now i go iut to remove thr steering wheel, and remove the sas and open it to see if all is looking good inside.
I guess the 01 is really different. But on my 02 the sas is on the steering shaft near the hole that goes thru to the floor. You go down by the pedals and look up and you should see a black sensor on the shaft. This usually works or doesnt. Never seen it intermittent. Just replace it and perform zpc. If you are using techstream and it shows the sas 0 when the wheel is straight thats good. But if it shows anything else the sensor has to be reposition or replaced if broken

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Same issue here, after a
03 may be the highest you can go. Maybe only 02. Cause the ecu is 16 bits on 01, 02, but 32 bit on 03 and higher.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts