Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to this whole forum stuff, but I have a 2010 Tundra SR5, 4x4 and I just recently started having issues with the steering system whining when I turn the wheels left or right. I added about 1/2 a pint of fluid last week and the whining went away for the most part. I let the truck sit in the driveway for about 5-6 days, without being driven or moved and when I started the truck again, the whining was way worse and it looked like the power steering reservoir was low again. I added some Lucas Power Steering treatment and brought the reservoir back up to the right level, let the truck run for a short time and the whining stopped at idle, but still whined a little when turning the wheels. A few hours later, I came home from work and started the truck again, let it run for a little bit and when I checked the reservoir, it was way low again. There is no leaking under the truck or anywhere in the area, and now I can't turn the steering wheel, its like its locked up solid. I'm guessing the rack and pinion has gone out, the seals are letting the fluid past and the rack is filled up with fluid......any suggestions on where to start....??

·
Registered
178 Posts
...any suggestions on where to start....??

Probably the dealership or a good shop!

You might check that your power steering belt is still tight and intact but it sounds like your pump may have gone bad. I had a rack failure on another make car and it blew power steering fluid all over the road for about 100 yards. Lucas Stop Leak is great but only works to swell up worn seals; it does have its limits.

Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever figure out what your problem really was? I’m beginning to hear sounds in my steering as well. About two years ago the dealer replaced my rack. It sounds the same. I do have a Low Range 3/1 kit installed. Hearing this sound is pissing me off because last time it cost a few bucks. Any input?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts