Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this '03 tacoma Friday, so still learning about it. It was a one owner trade in to a friends dealership and he hooked me up with it. Very clean, well kept w/85k on the clock. I have noticed that the truck wants to wander a little bit while driving in a lane of traffic.

Steering is tight and responsive, tires are in great shape with no unusual wear, does not shimmy or shake but when driving in a single lane, you have to make tiny corrections left and right with the wheel and you can tell it wants to drift left or right while driving. Does not pull to one side or the other.

My guess would be an alignment issue, but not knowing anymore about these than I do right now, are there other concerns I may look at while investigating this issue ?

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I have a Sequoia that wandered and found the bushings that held the steering rack had worn / soft and allowed the rack to move about 1/4" when the steering wheel was turned side to side and the tires didn't move. I replaced the bushings with aftermarket polyurethane type and that corrected it, also put polyurethane bushings on sway bar links.
With the engine off and the steering wheel unlocked have someone turn the wheel side to side while watching the rack for movement.
See thread
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tacoma/155317-2002-tacoma-steering-rack-replacement/
Bushing replacement is discussed

·
Registered
12 Posts
my brother has a 05 taco and was having the same problem. the toyota dealer just replaced his wheel bearing because the other one was destroyed. they did not tighten the nut up and the wheel had a "wobble". his has 75k on it and after tightening the bearing retaining nut the "wobble" went away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts