Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering on the 00 to 02 bushings for steering rack do you just have to loosen the bolts to remove and install the bushings or do you have to remove the bolts?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am.going to attempt to do this myself did you take your r & p off or did you just let the tierods hold them up and take the bolts out? Also is their any advice you can give me?

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,537 Posts

·
Forum Admin
8,250 Posts
I am.going to attempt to do this myself did you take your r & p off or did you just let the tierods hold them up and take the bolts out? Also is their any advice you can give me?
My best advice would be use a torch to remove the old bushings. Another member said he had excellent results using a torch to heat the rubbers. A small butane torch from Lowes will do the job. There's no need to remove the rack to complete this install. You may consider removing the sway bar too (again, another member said this helped him). It allows for some extra clearance on that center bolt. Sway bar is fairly easy to remove, but again, not absolutely necessary to complete the job.

Hmmm, one more tidbit of advice, slide the new bushings in, then slide the metal sleeve in, and lastly the bolt. Lube helps. :tu:

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I used a razor knife to cut the lip off one side of the old bushing and it pushed out. When reinstalling the rack, I found it was much easier to get the holes lined up with the tires off the ground.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tundradrenalin I was wondering about removing the bolts because in step 6 you said not to take the bolt completely out. Do you ever take the bolt all the way out to accomplish the work? Also when i order the bushings will they be labeled so that I know which metal sleeve and bushing goes where? Are the top and bottom bushings exactly the same?

1.. Lift the front wheels off the ground.

2.. Remove the stabilizer bar (sway bar) end link nuts, so the bar can be moved up/down.

3.. Remove the center bolt & washer.

4.. Remove the driver's side nut & washer. Leave the bolt in for now.

5.. Remove the U-brace two bolts & washers.

6.. Cover the driver's side bolt with a 2x4, wack it with a hammer. Do not remove it, just back it out a little.

7.. Pull the steering rack away from the corssmember. It is helpful to move the sway bar at this point.

8.. Now you can see the Driver's side bolt, push it flush with the crossmember to get it out of the way.

9.. Cut the front lips off the rubber bushings of the center and driver's sdie bushings. This will aid in removal.

10. Use the 14mm socket and the hammer, wack the center pin in the middle of the bushing, UP. Push it out upwards, towards the cab. Replace it empty half from the top, pin filled half from the bottom. Use hammer and 2x4 again here.

11. Now, wack out the driver's side pin/bushing the same way. Hit the pin from the back, so it is coming out towards the crossmember. Once it is out far enough to get a monkey wrench behind it, start pulling it out from the front. This is the longest time consuming step, because it looks like it is barely moving. Keep hitting it.

12. Replace the bushing by inserting the empty side from the back, and the pin-side from the front. Using a C-clamp here really helps. Compress it best you can.

13. Replace the right side bushing now. This is easy, figure it out.

14. Press the driver's side bolt back through. Make sure you have used the new washer supplied with the kit.

15. Tighten the center bolt hand tight. Then tighten the driver's side bolt hand tight. Then do the right side bolts.

16. Torque specs: Driver's side = 96ftlbs. Center = 96 ftlbs. Right side = 123 ftlbs.

17. Replace the end link bolts. Torque spec is 14 ft lbs.

·
Forum Admin
8,250 Posts
If I recall, the bolt was holding the rack up in place, otherwise it falls on your chest. Damn man, it's been a while since I did this... uhh... That bolt is the long one right? Wish I had taken some pictures of this install.

The new bushings, if you're using an Energy Susp or something similar, yea, you can't mess up and install it backwards. They're the same frontwards and backwards. It'll be pretty obvious which one goes where.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah its the long bolt. i think you did use it to hold it up, but i wasn't sure if you said you took it all the way out. Also do you reuse the washer for that long bolt?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
yeah its the long bolt. i think you did use it to hold it up, but i wasn't sure if you said you took it all the way out. Also do you reuse the washer for that long bolt?

you'll get a new washer to use included with the bushings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts