Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22Nrptr
Glad to have that behind me though, I'll never do that rack again.

weeellll, looks like i gotta do it on the new truck too, i took the d/s boot off and the "knock" when moving the wheel back and forth quickly while stationary; while making slight corrections on the highway; and while going slow over rougher terrain (dirt road, train tracks, etc) is from the piston farther inboard than the inner TRE. on the driver side, the piston actually moves on up and down vertically a little bit, and i imagine it will only get worse in time. it did actually feel worse on my first tundra with 15k more on the clock

i am surprised that i have not seen anyone else on any forum including TundraSolutions.com have this problem, yet i've had two tundras, both with bad d/s steering rack pistons, WTF!

o well, what can you do, guess this is what we do for our trucks lol

i'll be ordering it on monday, thank GOD i'm a service advisor!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
My rack was changed under warranty for leaking with only 29K on it and between worthless alignments at the dealership and lower Ball joints my Bridgestones had to be changed with 6/32nd on outter edges and 2 3/32nd's on the inner edges that had cord showing! They payed for everything to include upper ball joints but refused the tires and i had the print outs from 3 alignments but they still refused to pony up for tires! All they had done was set the toe and let me go and you could see this in each print out but now i have 4 worthless Michelins on my 06 DC that after 5K miles will not Dynamically balance and vibrate the whole truck?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was it knocking over bumps like mine? like, could you feel it in the steering wheel?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
no knocking that i remember but sad a steering rack can't last longer? We found this issue early when it started leaking all at once and i guess if we had not caught it early it would have been making all kinds of noise, i keep a good eye on fluid checks between oil changes so if anything goes low it's usually found by me. I spent around 12 years on the oil change bay of my fathers Full service gas station and pretty much learned to check this stuff on all vehicles at a young age!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, a lot of the guys at work make fun of me for paying attention to the little things on my truck, like the fluid levels, and little extra noises or feels, but i really believe it is worth it in the end

·
Registered
429 Posts
Though i have been avoiding admitting that this is what I need, I think it is. I've changed out alot of front end components and my steering still sucks. And I do hear a *knock* when I turn hard at slow speeds. So, given that you are a service advisor, what can you do for me??!!!!!! =)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, do you feel it in the wheel also?, i get it mostly from feedback from the wheels , rather than input into the steering wheel, except for the adjustments on the highway at like 65

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tried it man, made it worse, (on my previous tundra too), instead of the rack kind of "floating" and "giving", it made it rigid, and instead of the bushings taking the vibration of the piston hiting the piston wall, the new bushings hold it TIGHT and i feel it more up the steering shaft

·
Registered
429 Posts
tried it man, made it worse, (on my previous tundra too), instead of the rack kind of "floating" and "giving", it made it rigid, and instead of the bushings taking the vibration of the piston hiting the piston wall, the new bushings hold it TIGHT and i feel it more up the steering shaft

Ditto.

Though the bushings did make the truck wander less on highway. Other than that, the truck is more sensitive on dirt, pulling and lunging in any direction that the road wants to take it. Annoying when i'm trying to get way back in the woods at a semi-rapid pace. Down right scary. have to reduce speed considerably while my buddy in the Tacoma behind me is wondering why the F is he going so slow??!!!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea man, exaactly, that bushing kit is great, but after installing it 2x on two different trucks, i dont think im gonna do it again, forces the rack to take a beating in my opinion, and i dont reeaally want to tax it any more after doing the 5100's

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I too have noise steering related. My steering rack has been replaced by previous owner. What i have is sound/action that feels like dislocated shoulder popping back into place or like something going into its place (metal like sound) Its kinda dull, happens sometimes when turning left at full lock. Seems to be from driver side. Hate it, dunno whats wrong with it :(

·
Registered
696 Posts
I too have noise steering related. My steering rack has been replaced by previous owner. What i have is sound/action that feels like dislocated shoulder popping back into place or like something going into its place (metal like sound) Its kinda dull, happens sometimes when turning left at full lock. Seems to be from driver side. Hate it, dunno whats wrong with it :(
Sounds like yer steering stops need some grease. The original stops had a plastic cover on there...they eventually git beat up and fall off. Give that a shot of grease and you should be good to go. ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sounds different than the steering stops. I get the same noise at about 3/4 into the total steering rotation. Sounds like you may be in the same boat as us, vincas.

F22, I can definitely feel the clunk/pop in the drivers side (based on me grabbing the drivers side Inner tie rod while the wifey rotates the wheel). What do you recommend? New inner tie rod? I disconnected the outer from the inner, and the inner stays in place without any support, so this leads me to believe the inner tie rod is fine. Should I just replace the rack? Or the entire assembly??

I have no leaks in the system, P/S fluid stays on the Full mark...

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
It only happens when moving. Never when standing and turning wheels. Its either backing out of the driveway and that little dip in the asphalt between street and driveway makes it produce the sound. My truck runs like chimp and no issues are felt in steering besides this noise.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
turn the truck off, and turn the wheel (with the key in the ignition but engine off), turn from 12:00 to 1:00 or 11:00 quickly back and forth, do you hear it?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ask a friend to do that, while you look underneath the truck, just to be sure, pull the rack boots back, but it comes from the piston hitting the piston wall, not the inner TRE,

plus mine is leaking out of the piston as well

1 - 20 of 23 Posts