Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the polyurethane bushing install a week ago. The steering is a little better, but still feels pretty loose. I still need an alignment (tires are shot anyway, so theres no rush), but after an alignment and the steering is still loose, what else could it be?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would have to be something mechanical in the rack...
Ah ha! I did have my girlfriend turn the steering wheel side to side and it was making a noise in the rack but I couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from. But this is with the engine off.

Also, I posted something about a knocking noise thinking it may be ball joint related, but it may be the steering????

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looking at your avatar, are you running 20"+ wheels with wide tires? That may be your problem. I found with my stock X-SP 20" wheels the steering felt loose and the truck was all over the road. Went to a 16" rim and the problem went away.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at your avatar, are you running 20"+ wheels with wide tires? That may be your problem. I found with my stock X-SP 20" wheels the steering felt loose and the truck was all over the road. Went to a 16" rim and the problem went away.

Just a thought.

The tires are 265/50/R20, so they aren't too wide. I have heard that it goes away with the right tires. I'm in Tallahassee now where there are many hills and not so great paved roads. I was in South Florida where it is flat as can be and didn't notice it much. However, as the years pass the handling gets worse. I have had the rims on for 6 years with no big issues until the last 2. I had 275/45/R20 tires on and didn't notice the horrible handling until it was time to get new tires.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So did you ever cure it?

No, not yet. Money is tight right now and Im trying to get into grad school so I have been studying alot. I have just been putting up with it but it is getting annoying. Im thinking about going to 18" rims but If the right tires can correct it then I dont have to spend as much.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Get new tires, at least for the front end, and an alignment. The problem will probably go away... if not, the actual cause will be much more obvious. The alignment guy or gal should easily spot a problem condition should there be one.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Did you know about the DJ alignment setup? ;)

Slightly off topic...could you post up some piccies of yer bushing install? Do you have yer old stock ones still laying around? Could you tell me if there are any numbers printed on it? I'm trying to find out if the Tundra rack bushings are the same size or bigger than the T-100 rack bushings. Looking to see if I can modify the Tundra ones and put them on my T-100. Thanks in advance! :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you know about the DJ alignment setup? ;)

Slightly off topic...could you post up some piccies of yer bushing install? Do you have yer old stock ones still laying around? Could you tell me if there are any numbers printed on it? I'm trying to find out if the Tundra rack bushings are the same size or bigger than the T-100 rack bushings. Looking to see if I can modify the Tundra ones and put them on my T-100. Thanks in advance! :D

Sorry man,

I didn't take pictures while doing the install, and I threw the stock bushings in the trash. Maybe you could call Wheelers and ask if their bushings will fit a T-100. If so, just go ahead and purchase theirs. They are inexpensive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts