Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just been informed by a Toyota Service Department that the entire steering wheel, column, etc. is 'out'. After having the truck serviced for oil change and spark plugs replacement, the technician took truck for 'drive' and steering quite working. Now told they can't even find the parts needed to correct the problem. NOT HAPPY. Anyone else had this problem? Any advice?? 2009 Tundra under 150,000 miles!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Define 'out'.
What parts do they say it needs ?
What does 'quit working' mean?
It is a regular hydraulic system , not one of those new fancy electrical steering systems. There are mechanical linkages that will always turn the wheels, with or without hydraulic assistance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been having almost the same problem with my 2008 Tundra, steering will lock up off and on and I have checked the power steering fluid, it's clean, so I am guessing it's my rack but could be also the pump itself. Have not yet taken it to a dealer or repair garage, hoping to track the source first so I'm not ripped off, last time I got a rack quote it was like $1800 replacement cost. The 2005 to 2010 owners are covered by a class action law suit for early frame rust out (due to poor rustproofing) so if you're in a northern state check your transfer case bolts to the frame, could have rusted out, it happened to me and the same conditions happened (locked up steering). They fixed that (on my dime before the lawsuit was settled) at great expense to me. But I've heard the racks in these trucks go early and that is not great to hear, my truck has only 64,000 miles on it. I live in NH, we get a lot of salt on the roads in winter, but I'm pretty faithful about washing it underneath after every storm, too. Let me know if you find out what your problem is!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts