Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really hate to post another phantom brake issue...but I have read through 90% of the post in this forum. I have not been able to find anything in here that remotely describes what is currently happening with my '04 Dbl Cab 2wd 4.7L V8.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible...a few months ago after personally changing the front rotors and pads I noticed the front right wheel was HOTTTT. Took it to a reputable local shop immediately (same day) to address the situation. They said the OEM caliper was sticking and I agreed that was probably the issue. They replaced both front (L &R) calipers with AISIN as well as new pads. They said rotors were fine.

Since then when stopping suddenly due to traffic or animals etc...I've noticed the steering wheel jerks to the right. This symptom is not speed dependent it happens at all speeds, the higher the speed the worse the jerk. The jerk happens rather quickly then returns to center. My first thought, this is or could potentially be a safety issue. I take it back they say I need new brake lines. SMH, I reluctantly go along. Get the truck back. No fix. After readying dozens of post...is this a "air in my lines" issue, a valve issue or what...? Really cannot get a bearing on where to start. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd suspect the rotors. Did they at least turn em?
Right wheel getting hotter than the left?
Rotors were new when I installed them. They said rotors were fine. They were not turned. Right front was only hot due to sticking piston inside caliper. Sorry for any confusion. Rotors may have had total of 1k miles on them before this happened. I'd guess only ten miles total when caliper started sticking.

·
Registered
Des2Mtn - 2004 Black DC 4x4 Limited
89 Posts
I'd suspect the rotors. Did they at least turn em?
Right wheel getting hotter than the left?
Kinda what I would think too, the sticking caliper and heat could have caused the rotor to warp. You said that the truck is pulling to the right - was it the right caliper that was sticking?

If nothing else, I would find another local shop and explain everything you and the other shop did and ask them for a second opinion on the rotors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rotors were new when I installed them. They said rotors were fine. They were not turned. Right front was only hot due to sticking piston inside caliper. Sorry for any confusion. Rotors may have had total of 1k miles on them before this happened. I'd guess only ten miles total when caliper started sticking.
Ten miles total when I noticed the sticking caliper then immediately took to the shop. Doesn't give me the death wobbles like warped calipers have done to me before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: Went to the good ole stealership yesterday and had them perform a brake fluid flush on the system. Did this just in case air in the line could be causing the dive to the right. Welp, found out this morning when someone pulled out in front of me that the fluid flush did not solve the issue.

I've talked to multiple folks, the last thing I can think of is the new AISIN caliper is defective. Can't wait to ask the shop that installed them to warranty, should be a fun conversation!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I really hate to post another phantom brake issue...but I have read through 90% of the post in this forum. I have not been able to find anything in here that remotely describes what is currently happening with my '04 Dbl Cab 2wd 4.7L V8.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible...a few months ago after personally changing the front rotors and pads I noticed the front right wheel was HOTTTT. Took it to a reputable local shop immediately (same day) to address the situation. They said the OEM caliper was sticking and I agreed that was probably the issue. They replaced both front (L &R) calipers with AISIN as well as new pads. They said rotors were fine.

Since then when stopping suddenly due to traffic or animals etc...I've noticed the steering wheel jerks to the right. This symptom is not speed dependent it happens at all speeds, the higher the speed the worse the jerk. The jerk happens rather quickly then returns to center. My first thought, this is or could potentially be a safety issue. I take it back they say I need new brake lines. SMH, I reluctantly go along. Get the truck back. No fix. After readying dozens of post...is this a "air in my lines" issue, a valve issue or what...? Really cannot get a bearing on where to start. Any help is appreciated.
Since you've had the rotors and calipers replaced and it's still pulling then your outer sway bar links/tye rods are Bad or you have a tire out of balance
Btw I'm quite sure they got you on the brake lines

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since you've had the rotors and calipers replaced and it's still pulling then your outer sway bar links/tye rods are Bad or you have a tire out of balance
Btw I'm quite sure they got you on the brake lines
JAMEC777,

Thanks for the comment. I Rotated tires Monday and checked all bushing and ball joints. Everything looked like normal wear, used but not clapped out. If the caliper swap does not fix the issue, I will take a closer look at the front end. I've had the truck for two years, drives straight as an arrow as far as alignment goes and tire wear is excellent. Like I need another excuse to put a level lift on it. lol

·
Registered
2000 tundra 4.7 4x4. Not much stock on it besides the engine
29 Posts
I’ve had 2 sets of calipers with seized lower pistons. I upgraded to the 13WL brakes on my 2000 and had the issue twice, same symptoms as you pulling to the (left) in my case when tapping the brakes. Third set is the charm so far. Good luck with this.
They just don't make good parts like they used to. Now you get bad plug wires in a new set and think you did something wrong to realize a bad wire after scratching your head

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea, this was a weird one to me. I combed through many forums and sites to find something similar and decided well maybe I can help some body else by explaining my situation. I hope that the new replacement parts hold up. Really want to keep this truck until it dies. When I buy a new truck I will not be trading this one in just feels wrong after how far its taken me down the road!

Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts