Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get my steering wheel replaced or refurbished in the SF Bay Area? The finish is wearing off and it’s getting really bad.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Call your local upholstery shop. It wont cost you a dime to get a quote on how much they would charge to rewrap your existing wheel. Then call some local scrap yards and see how much for a used steering wheel. Once you have both prices you can then make the decision that works best for you.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I called several upholstery shops in the Tulsa area to get a wheel re wrapped. Noone would do it. The last guy I talked to said if I find someone to do it it’ll be over $500. I bought a rubber coated wheel (instead of leather wrapped) and I use that for the moment on my Durango. I cut the leather wrap off at the stitches so I can try and trace and stitch it up myself. We’ll see how good I do if I ever get time to do it. The Tundra wheel needs it pretty bad now too so I don’t know what I’m gonna do with it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts

Redline can send you a new leather for it. I used one on my FZJ80 and it wasn't the easiest install but I was pretty happy with it.

You can also send them your wheel or a donor wheel and have them install, although that comes at a price...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
No way I ever would have guessed someone would charge $500 to wrap a wheel. I had some work done on a car seat years ago and I am pretty sure it was like $80 or so.

·
Registered
257 Posts
No way I ever would have guessed someone would charge $500 to wrap a wheel. I had some work done on a car seat years ago and I am pretty sure it was like $80 or so.
Same here. I was surprised to hear that. The guy told me they take way too long to do to make it worth it so nobody really does them anymore. People just buy new wheels most of the time. Blew my mind when he said that much. Had another guy tell me $500 to add a little padding and rewrap a small motorcycle seat. Maybe upholstery work is just extremely expensive in my area, who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can attest that they require a metric crap ton of stitching so if I were charging money I wouldn't let it go cheap.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Redline can send you a new leather for it. I used one on my FZJ80 and it wasn't the easiest install but I was pretty happy with it.

You can also send them your wheel or a donor wheel and have them install, although that comes at a price...

Mind sharing a pic? I know those aren't easy to install.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mind sharing a pic? I know those aren't easy to install.
I actually posted a whole write-up at the time:

Also, I used this video as a reference. He cuts his own leather and everything:

·
Registered
56 Posts
you can buy new wood grain steering wheels on ebay for 200 to 300.00... I got one for 179.00 just before Christmas. Tan leather with wood grain insert at top and bottom...

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
you can buy new wood grain steering wheels on ebay for 200 to 300.00... I got one for 179.00 just before Christmas. Tan leather with wood grain insert at top and bottom...
Even better, the link you attached also shows some non leather ones for only $90.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts