Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I rotated the tires on the tundra 2 weeks ago(285-65-18 bfg at) first tire roation with 7k on tires. Oh they tried to balance them too. Since the rotation have had that great steering wheel vibration at 60-68mph. So went back 4 more times and no luck. Local Discount tire. Then had dealer replace front rotors and pads. Brakes are better but still have annoying vibration in steering wheel. I go to a different Discount store further up the road and ask for a road force. They do all 4 wheels n tires only have to spin 2 tires on 2 of the wheeels. Store mngr is doing the work and tells me wheels n tires have very little run out and not gonna get better then this. He said all is good. It did help a lot. Vibration come n goes now, very strange. Got tired
Of reading posts on here and could not find a resoltion. My guess is something with tires or truck. So who has found the fix for this ?? Or is it a ghost in the machine. Truck allingment is goood and shocks are new in the front.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did they take the tires off the rim and reposition them, or just try to balance them? I had to have the tires rotated on the rim 90 degrees to get one balanced correctly. Most of the tire Monkeys at Discount just keep trying to clip on more weight until it is "close enough". Have them mark the position, remove and remount, and I bet it changes.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they did rotate 2 tires on them rim, and re balanced them on the road force machine. it helped alot but that vibration still comes back at those speeds, but not all the time. just never seen anything like this before. i had the mngr at both stores do the work and know them as well and they are confused as well. might try some different wheels and tires and see if it changes, but hate to invest and nothing changes but better loking truck....

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you swap the fronts and rears, do you still have the problem?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2011 Tundra, and have had the issue on two of my cars as well. It is faintly noticeable at 48MPH and really noticeable with steering wheel shake at 58-68 MPH. Frustrating to put it mildly and I've never been able to solve it. It always seems to go exactly as you've described - all at Discount Tire. I've even tried to have them balanced at another tire shop without any improvement.

Awhile back I ordered brand new wheels and purchased new tires to go on them. I drove away from the shop and got on the highway. Five minutes later I was back because the steering wheel shake was really bad. They tried three times more before it was acceptable, although it never went away completely. So now I live with it for 5k miles. Then when the fronts go back to the rear I forget about it for another 5k miles. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've had problems where the tires were new everything balance fine, but as they wore, the balance would go out more frequently. Turns out the rims were the issue. I don't have that vehicle anymore.

But now, according to the shop I use for my Tundra, I have one "bad" rim but the others are fine. They can get it to balance but it needs more weight than usual.

Could it be the Hub-centric balance requirements. I had a lot of issues with my 4Runner due to that issue.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They told me the rims and tires had very little run out. Not very much weights on the wheels. But I agree with you possible tires causing this crazy vibration. I need to rotate just to see if the problem is still there. Tires only have 7k on them. But the truck had the steering wobble with the other tires as well and they where new bridge stones. The next day after buying truck I swapped them out for the BFG I am running now and never noticed this crazy steering shake until 2 weeks ago when they did the rotation. I will keep everyone updated if I can put some miles on and see if it still does it then if it does rotate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Make sure if you have them balanced that they use the spacers, or dies for the toyota. Not just a standard balancing cone. If not they will not be able to balance the wheel correctly. I played this game with discount tire until i found a store that had the correct tools for the job. The tundra is difficult to balance, and you need to get a shop that knows what they are doing. My vibration issues are over!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what I was planning on doing next at Good Toyota shop. Discount said they where using correct cones. But will try dealer next. Hopefully it works. If not gonna make them put 2 new tires and try from there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had this problem with my bfg atko tires. I replaced them with terra grapplers and got an alignment to djs specifications and that corrected the shake. Lower ballpoint? I saw some lady on the freeway in a first generation on the right shoulder with her lower balljoint blown out a while back.... Don't know if yours was a first generation...

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2008 second gen with 62,000 miles. Truck is in very good condition. Just so busy all the time have not had a chance to get back to discount or dealer. Will figure it out one day, hopefully. Probally just demand them replace tires and be done with it...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So drove it on freeway over weekend and the steering shake seemed to get worse @70 mph. Just annoying and fed up. So this morning went to discount visit #6 and they said we will replace them no charge. I said awesome !! But have to back with bfg/Michelin tire due to warranty. I said ok, can I pay difference to go up to 305-65-18, and they said no. Discount will not mount larger tire then factory recommendation. He said this policy went in to affect 2 months ago. Even If was to buy the larger tires they would not install them unless I had a after market wheel larger then factory width. So I went with the same 285-65-18 bfg again. Drove home 20 miles from discount on hwy and felt no steering shake. So far it's good and better then before. Will get on hwy this Thursday and report back. Just curious if any one else has been denied a 305-65-18 tire for there factory wheel...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Shoot, mine will ride fine for a couple of days, the go to shaking at 70 mph. After a day or so, it will go back riding smooth. Never had another truck do this. I don't think it is the rims, I think they have a flaw in the truck itself. Between this and the seat belt chime, I will never buy another Tundra...........ever.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, after driving truck on the freeway last 2 days running errands the shimmy or shake in the steering has come back. It comes and go,s. just gettin frustrated with this truck. Spend all this $$ and Toyota or no one has a fix. Now I am starting to believe its a design flaw and can't be fixed. Some one have a suggestion ? Would like to keep the truck but not gonna make payments for 60 months for a truck that shakes..

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I rotated the tires on the tundra 2 weeks ago(285-65-18 bfg at) first tire roation with 7k on tires. Oh they tried to balance them too. Since the rotation have had that great steering wheel vibration at 60-68mph. So went back 4 more times and no luck. Local Discount tire. Then had dealer replace front rotors and pads. Brakes are better but still have annoying vibration in steering wheel. I go to a different Discount store further up the road and ask for a road force. They do all 4 wheels n tires only have to spin 2 tires on 2 of the wheeels. Store mngr is doing the work and tells me wheels n tires have very little run out and not gonna get better then this. He said all is good. It did help a lot. Vibration come n goes now, very strange. Got tired
Of reading posts on here and could not find a resoltion. My guess is something with tires or truck. So who has found the fix for this ?? Or is it a ghost in the machine. Truck allingment is goood and shocks are new in the front.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts