Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Tundra Crew Max Limited with 40k miles on it. Recently it started to shake the steering wheel so badly when I apply even a slight brake at 60+ mph that it almost frightens you. These are the original brakes and tires. I have seen from a few other posts that it could be warped rotors, alignment, old tires, steering column off center, etc. Can anyone place a best guess at both what it is and how much it may cost to fix? I really like the truck for the most part but there are bed bounce and vibration issues with this truck at speeds above 60 mph. Other than that I love it! Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I think everyone's guess is going to be rotors. I haven't done the Tundra , but all the cars I've done were easy. You should be able to get a price from the guys that have done theirs.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Rotors

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Rotors....who was the last one to put your wheels? Did they torque your lug nuts to Spec?
Over torqued nuts = warped rotors more often than not.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Most vibration is caused from variation in rotor thickness. Variation occurs when a warped rotor contacts the brake pads in one place and causes wear leading to a rotor with thin and thick spots. Our trucks have stationary calipers which means we feel both variation in thickness and radial runout (warpage) in the brake pedal and steering wheel. The large diameter Tundra rotors also add to the problem.

So, yeah...I vote for rotors, too. Be sure to check the rear rotors, too. Remove the wheels, run a couple lug nuts back on to secure the rotor, and use a dial indicator like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1S1W0DMAE22FESZ4A94F to measure radial runout. Use a dial caliper like this one Amazon.com: Extended Range Brake Drum & Rotor Measuring Kit: Automotive to measure thickness in several locations around the rotor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
mine has been doing the same thing for the last 2 weeks. It the rotors being warped, and im getting them replaced this weekend

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Well i hate to go against the flow here but i had the same problem my steering wheel would violently shake form left to right while braking at hight speeds so i took the truck into toyota the other day to have my guy look at it as well as look at my front diff because i thought i had a bad front diff because i could feel a vibration and audible noise while turning, HOWEVER, after toyota did an alignment and tire rotation, the truck was fine! What i thought was diff noise and vibration turned out to just be the tires/alignment. I also was on the highway late yesterday and no one was around me so i sped up to 65-70 and applied the brakes, no steering wheel shaking at all. Did it a couple times and not once did the steering wheel shake.

It could very be your rotors like others said but i thought id share my experience with you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for the Rotor feedback as well as Radiant RedTRD for your dissenting opinion as well. That is good to know for future issues. I just got back from my Toyota dealer and they machined the rotors down and it fixed the problem. Cost was $132. didn't think that was too bad. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Thanks everyone for the Rotor feedback as well as Radiant RedTRD for your dissenting opinion as well. That is good to know for future issues. I just got back from my Toyota dealer and they machined the rotors down and it fixed the problem. Cost was $132. didn't think that was too bad. Thanks again for all the help.
Yea thats not bad at all, glad to hear its fixed :tu:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Likely the rotors. Lotta people complain about them.

Edit: Well, guess it WAS the rotors. Read all the way to the end of the thred now! :)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I just got back from my Toyota dealer and they machined the rotors down and it fixed the problem. Cost was $132. didn't think that was too bad. Thanks again for all the help.
Get a torque wrench and check your nuts...I would bet money they are over-torqued from the dealer, and that will eventually lead to a reoccurring rotor problem. The Alloy wheels are torqued to only 97 foot pounds. I do my own rotations, torque my own wheels, and I have 65K miles on the original pads and rotors...still smooth as glass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts