Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

the steering wheel on my '02 has started to spilt apart at the seam around the "ring" portion. And, rather than replace the whole wheel, I wanted to try to fix the tear first and see if i could live with the fix. I have tossed around using some kinda glue or epoxy, or tape but that would be a last resort.

Problem is, I'm not sure what kind of adhesive will bond the squishy vinyl-foam material together and last.

Any ideas? I really don't know how to remove the steering wheel, and really don't want to unless the spilt continues.

Thanks guys

Finger Auto part Hand Steering wheel Vehicle door

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
I suggest black electrical tape if you don't want to replace the steering wheel and a replacement steering wheel from a salvage yard if you do. The tape has the advantages that it's cheap, and it'll make you want to replace the wheel, which will look much better.

Pulling the wheel off and putting a new one on is easy.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
What about calling a local upholstery shop that specializes in auto stuff? They might able to remove the old and wrap with new leather.

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
My steering wheel started disintegrating after 240,000 miles so I just bought a cheap steering wheel wrap from Meijer and put that on. Do not like the thicker feel but it works for now. Really like the idea of checking around for an upholstery shop to redo the leather wrap.

DJ how much is a replacement wheel?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine had a big hole and was rubbing off in my hand. I just removed the whole leather wrap with a stitch puller. Its black underneath which like since my interior is Black and Tan.

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone know the part number for just the piece I need to replace per the picture (just the ring or whatever the smallest part needed to be removed is)?

I haven't seen the inside under the horn cap and am unsure how the ring mounts, weather it is bolted to the center or if it is all one piece. Either way, the part number would be great to see my options for getting another one if the local salvage yard doesn't have a tundra.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let me google that for you

Make sure to click on images.
I must really be over thinking this.

No idea why I didn't google the removal. Guess I was more concerned with finding a replacement that I forgot to even see how to remove it without threat of a uppercut from the airbag.

Thanks man.

Just need to find the part no. now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.