Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with either of these? I think I'm going with the tube steps for $479 in chrome to match my chrome handles and grill

Step board:

Tube Steps:

This is a tall truck to get in and out of especially when not on flat ground and leaning to passenger side. I also like that often times boards or steps help prevent careless door dings in the parking lots.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Anyone have any experience with either of these? I think I'm going with the tube steps for $479 in chrome to match my chrome handles and grill

Step board:

Toyota.com : Vehicles : Tundra : Accessories

Tube Steps:

This is a tall truck to get in and out of especially when not on flat ground and leaning to passenger side. I also like that often times boards or steps help prevent careless door dings in the parking lots.

Thoughts?
I'd go Tube steps. They look cooler I think.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the boards and like them a lot because of the slight bulky look of multiple pieces. Also they have more area for your foot to step on wich makes it safer for my 80 yr. old mother. She navigates these easily. My wife said it is easier to get in than the chevy dually I traded in that had full running boards.:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the boards and like them a lot because of the slight bulky look of multiple pieces. Also they have more area for your foot to step on wich makes it safer for my 80 yr. old mother. She navigates these easily. My wife said it is easier to get in than the chevy dually I traded in that had full running boards.:)
That's why it made it a hard choice for me, both offer advantages.

I got the chrome tubes just now at the dealership, will install tonight and try and get some pictures to post...

·
Registered
39 Posts

Step board:

Tube Steps:

Thoughts?
Are these available for the regular cab as well, or are they only for DC and Crew Max?

·
Registered
220 Posts

Step board:

Tube Steps:

Thoughts?
Get tube steps, running boards are for old men.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's why it made it a hard choice for me, both offer advantages.

I got the chrome tubes just now at the dealership, will install tonight and try and get some pictures to post...
mtrunner, post pic when you're finished.........

I'm trying to decide between the TRD stainles steel or chrome tubes...

·
Registered
935 Posts
I do not like the tubes at all. I have landed on my @$$ several times stepping onto a wet or slippery tube.
Moulded running boards have always worked best for me.

Plus tubes don't stop rocks, gravel, sand, etc from hitting the rear quarters of your truck. I've also had lots of snow and ice accumulate at the rear of the tube. So badly that it has literally blocked the rear door from opening...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do not like the tubes at all. I have landed on my @$$ several times stepping onto a wet or slippery tube.
Moulded running boards have always worked best for me.

Plus tubes don't stop rocks, gravel, sand, etc from hitting the rear quarters of your truck. I've also had lots of snow and ice accumulate at the rear of the tube. So badly that it has literally blocked the rear door from opening...
Now ya tells me!

Actually I've had many vehicles with running boards and they too have problems. The biggest for me being accumulation of dirt on the step. Takes a pressure washer to clean. I hear ya about the slippage, I've done that with ski boots on running boards and it hurts but that's a risk I'll take with either.

Finally, hitting a step hard off roading can transfer more easily to door damage where a tube is less likely to do so. These are the things I considered when I decided to go with tubes over boards for the first time in 5 previous vehicles.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I agree with the tubes vs. steps for cleanliness reasons. However, the flat OEM step-type boards I've seen on the new Tundras are similar to the other OEM Toyota round tubes in that they are held off with brackets and allow debris to fall through the gaps between body and tubes.

All that being said I will never ever put anything other than "wheel to wheel" tubes or boards on a truck. To me bed access is every bit as important as cab access, especially with the new deeper beds on the '07's. So I will patiently wait for somebody like Westin or Lund to come out with aftermarket "wheel to wheel" length tubes (as I am doing for Huskliner floormats to come out for the '07 -- prefer them to the Weathertech).

Jim Ivey
'07 DC Longbed 5.7 working truck, split bench, backup camera, Bluetooth etc.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with the tubes vs. steps for cleanliness reasons. ...Jim Ivey
'07 DC Longbed 5.7 working truck, split bench, backup camera, Bluetooth etc.
I couldn't live with the step available from Toyota now, looks too Nissan to me, and I needed something now. I'm liking these tubes already. The rubber flat step should help prevent slippage. Pricy though at ~$500 but why pay less...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Forgot to mention... the other day I saw some neat home-made boards on another truck.
They started off as a standard tube step. I am assuming brackets/gussets were tacked underneath. Then an aluminum plate was welded on top, filling in the area between the tube and the truck. I think this would be the best of both worlds.
Hope I was clear, it is late...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Forgot to mention... the other day I saw some neat home-made boards on another truck.
They started off as a standard tube step. I am assuming brackets/gussets were tacked underneath. Then an aluminum plate was welded on top, filling in the area between the tube and the truck. I think this would be the best of both worlds.
Hope I was clear, it is late...
Your are talking about something like that?

ARB is making them.

Jochen

·
Registered
935 Posts
Your are talking about something like that?

ARB is making them.

Jochen
VERY close!! I like that a lot! Thanks for the fyi

·
Registered
935 Posts
Actually I've had many vehicles with running boards and they too have problems. The biggest for me being accumulation of dirt on the step. Takes a pressure washer to clean.
Ya mean like this...???

Truck got kinda durty that day... good thing it rained a bit on the way home or else it would have been really bad!!! Plus the 160kph on the way to the hospital probably "air-cleaned" it a bit...

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
I have used both stepboards and tube steps on numerous trucks. The good quality tube steps look better on most trucks but I have decided to get the stepboards on my new Tundra Double Cab.

The black step plates on the tubes are smaller thus you have less traction, especially when they are wet or covered with snow / ice, and if you step on the round bare chrome or steel then you are going for a ride in a hurry. I have done this many times and it is painful not to mention you get covered with road salt, mud, bugs, or whatever was on the outside of your truck when you bounced off the side on your way down to meet the ground.

If you are getting the bars for looks alone then buy whatever looks best, but if you plan to actually step on them when getting in or out of the truck then get the stepboards. IMO the factory brushed-stainless stepboards on the 2007 Tundra Double Cab look similar to tube steps and much better than the traditional "old-man" style running boards which I despise. To each his own... :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
I sure like the side boards on this rig. The rear ones actually wouldn't be a bad idea, I have slipped a few times getting in the back of the truck..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts