Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry if this is a repeat. I posted this earlier today, but it didn't seem to make it to posting.

I recently acquired a 2018 Tundra SR5 Extra Cab in white. Bone stock, but thinking about a mild lift ~3" or so. Anyway, my entry into the cab requires me to grab the steering wheel, right foot in the foot-well, then hoist myself in. No matter how I do it, my butt slides across the outside edge of the driver's seat, and I end up kicking some of the plastic trim. So, thinking about some step rails and thought I would ask for advice. Lots of options I know. I prefer the matte black look over chrome, and flat rather than tubes. I've been shopping around and it seems that some of the aftermarket stuff works, but lots of complaints about hardware compatibility and installation frustrations. I'm ok with a wrench but definitely not a master mechanic. The OEM boards https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~running~board~tundr~pt767-34160.html

About 30% more than some of the aftermarket boards out there. Any advice? My use of the truck is commuting, daily travel to the grocery, vacation trips on the road. I don't do rock crawling or plan to challenge the undercarriage clearance. Are the OEM's worth the price, or is there a comparable running board that I should consider.

BTW... I treat my trucks gently. My previous Tundra was an '02. Every time I drive them it is as if I have a $40,000 bill in my hands.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
The thing to remember here is there is no such thing as "OEM" when it comes to running boards so I wouldn't worry too much about trying to buy from a dealer. Toyota buys stuff like this from aftermarket companies so cut them out of the purchase and save yourself the mark up. There are supporting vendors on this site and you can probably get the exact same boards here without paying the extra 30%. Just contact one of them, show them the picture of what you want, and they should be able to hook you up.
And I don't know who you talked to about hardware compatibility or install problems but putting running boards on is super easy. Your truck already comes from the factory ready to take running boards and shouldn't take you more than an hour of time with a simple socket and ratchet to install.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a set of Black Westins for my 2012 Ext Cab and have loved them and they are reasonable and VERY easy to install.
Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! This is the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I found a website called RunningBoardWarehouse. They appear to have a good selection of step rails with a variety of shapes and sizes. Like you have stated, my concerns about fitment are addressed by mostly positive feedback from customers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You mentioned you grab the steering wheel...you can also install a grab handle on the A pillar if your truck didn't have one stock. The grab handle makes it very easy to get in and out without steps.

I had what you'd call Toyota OEM step tubes and found they fill up with road grime from wet gravel roads or mag-chloride snow muck in the winter. The tube ends were open and basically acted as a funnel to fill up with crap from the front wheel. I removed them since they were chock full of dirt and the steel brackets were rusting in relatively dry CO climate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dirhound. I wondered about the grab handle... there is one on the passenger side of my truck, but not on the driver's side? Assuming the driver will use the steering wheel? Is that an accessory I can purchase?

I too was concerned about side rails making more work on cleaning, but several owners reassured me that the benefits more than the drawbacks. I ordered a set of Iron Cross and installed today. As mentioned on here, the install was a snap, once I figured out the factory machine bolts had to be removed. The fit and finish is good and seem heavy duty. I like the step assist into front and back. I'll report back here once I can try them out on the road.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Cheapskate. Yep, I found it. Took the Tundra around for errands today and the step rails are really nice in function. I may not need the grab handle after all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts