Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please keep in mind this is my first truck (don't have it yet). But I have had a few 4x4 Jeeps in the past. And while I don't intend on going off road much with the Tundra. I will occansionally. So I have been debating on the step rails. Should you? Or should you not? As a creature comfort, it's great. But functionaly, doesn't it oppose the general rule of thumb for 4x4 offroading? More clearance. Just curious what you guys think since I see alot of people getting the 4x4 package yet installing step rails as well.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've had them on my present and previous 4x4's. I off road regularly. They do diminsh clearence, but they also protect the body of the truck (slide into a stump, rock etc.). Easier and cheaper to replace a step rail.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Please keep in mind this is my first truck (don't have it yet). But I have had a few 4x4 Jeeps in the past. And while I don't intend on going off road much with the Tundra. I will occansionally. So I have been debating on the step rails. Should you? Or should you not? As a creature comfort, it's great. But functionaly, doesn't it oppose the general rule of thumb for 4x4 offroading? More clearance. Just curious what you guys think since I see alot of people getting the 4x4 package yet installing step rails as well.
I got a 4x4 CrewMax because I live in NJ and we get a lot of snow in Winter. My CM is my daily driver and I did not want to take a change having to commute 20 miles each way to work in bad weather. I got the Brushed Stainless Steel Running Boards because it's functional and it looks great:tu: Plus it's easier for my Mom to get into the truck:D

Cheers

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I got a 4x4 CrewMax because I live in NJ and we get a lot of snow in Winter. My CM is my daily driver and I did not want to take a change having to commute 20 miles each way to work in bad weather. I got the Brushed Stainless Steel Running Boards because it's functional and it looks great:tu: Plus it's easier for my Mom to get into the truck:D

Cheers
I have them on my 4X2 sr5 double cab. They look great and it's the only way my wife can get in...... now that I think of it "Why did I get them???".

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
I've had them on my present and previous 4x4's. I off road regularly. They do diminsh clearence, but they also protect the body of the truck (slide into a stump, rock etc.). Easier and cheaper to replace a step rail.
I agree...
I was having the same quandry as you, and decided not to get the tubes on there yet...I'll buy them later if the step-up into the cab gets to be a PITA or if I find that they'll help my dog get into the truck by himself. Right now, I'm thinking I'll have to heave my 80#, 9 year old, Boxer into the cab whever we go somewhere. I don't like the idea of less clearance since I will be spending plenty of time tooling through the farms, woods, pastures, and swamps, but they will act like nerf bars and protect the rocker panel.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I second what FSS said in his post plus add:

Some additional protection against gravel etc. thrown up from the front tires.

Wear to the outer edge of the seats. I inspect a lot of vehicles. It doesn't take long before you see a pretty heavy wear area to the outer edge of taller vehicles from people hopping in and then spinning around to get seated.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I put a set of aftermarket step rails on my 07 Tundra. I don't think they hang any lower than the frame rails - I'll have to double check. If so, they wouldn't reduce the ground clearance any. They definitely make it easier to get in the truck. Mine bolted to the factory mounting points.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am ordering mine from the dealer on a CrewMax 4x4. I wanted them because I was going to lift it, but now I can't. Does anyone have a wife that is around 5'4"? If so, does she need them to get in? I think my wife will need them to get in... thouhgts?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I too debated but ending up getting them (chrome tube) for my 4x4. They cost me about $500 ($625 MSRP) as a port add on and I'm very glad I did. I know it's only a couple of extra inches but I use them all the time to assist getting in and out.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Two words:
Lift Kit.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The step rails also help the ladies and kids get in and out.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I put a set of aftermarket step rails on my 07 Tundra. I don't think they hang any lower than the frame rails - I'll have to double check. If so, they wouldn't reduce the ground clearance any. They definitely make it easier to get in the truck. Mine bolted to the factory mounting points.
What kind of aftermarket rails did you get? Where'd you get 'em, etc. :ts:

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
The step rails also help the ladies and kids get in and out.
All the more reason NOT to get them.

Slim: Wow, your truck is so high! However shall I get in with this short skirt I'm wearing?

Me (Gentleman): Oh gosh! Allow my chivalry to assist you. Let me give you a lift.

Slim: Thanks sweetie! You were so gentle and strong when you lifted me into the cab!

Me: Yeah, It just comes natural I guess.

Me: BTW, I'm so happy that the rug matches the drapes!

:D

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Just depends I suppose. Id get them for ease of entry and I like the looks of them. Also, I dont really see them hindering clearance much for usual off road outings.

·
Registered
110 Posts
What kind of aftermarket rails did you get? Where'd you get 'em, etc. :ts:
I ordered them from a local shop, Showcase Custom in St. Louis. They were on backorder for several weeks, as the manufacturer was designing/building them, but I would expect they are ready to go by now.

They are Alpine (I hadn't heard of them before). They are polished stainless, and all the supplied hardware is stainless steel, with the brackets black powdercoated (over stainless). They are cab length on my DC. They cost $350 (supposedly on sale). They also came in black.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good point on the lift kit!! :tu:

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
GGWOODY's point is great until you gotta help your great grandma up...hopefully she's not wearing minis anymore :p.

Other reason to leave them off is fat chicks can't jump :D.

There's no reason not to add them if you're only doing mild fire roads and such, and they do protect the body from rocks/gunk.

If you ever do get crazy, you can always resell them and get sliders with a top sheet for a step.

-Sean

·
Registered
19 Posts
One note: there is a big difference between your standard step rails and the type of rails/steps/sliders made for preventing off-road body damage.

The former type are flimsy steps of the decrative nature used for nothing more that providing a step up into the cab (and to look good). You'll notice that under the weight of a couple hundred pounds they bend ever so slightly. I've seen these types of steps come down on rocks plenty of times, they crumple like aluminum cans under the weight and the rock goes right into your truck.

Rails/steps/sliders for off-road use are designed to support the weight of the truck or more when your rocker panel collides with an object. These types usually place protection first, convenient stepping second as clearance takes priority over having a big cushy step (though some do a pretty good job of both). These type have the added benifet of being a jacking point if you have a hi-lift type jack.

Just something to keep in mind if your buying them, just because they look tough don't mean they are.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kranswall, How do you know which is which? When you see the pics of the options for the Tundra (Any other truck for that matter). None have disclamers or advertise "Specifically load bearing / Offroad".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts