Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Double Cab w/o JBL -

I am planning on installing a new head unit in my truck. Currently I have the stock AM/FM single CD unit. My goal is to get one with iPod connectivity. Sounds simple, but I want a clean look...So...my plan is to get a unit with iPod connection in the back of the unit, run the mini plug cable down the back of the radio and under the center console to one of the unused option plugs to the upper left of the cup holders on the center console. I am not sure if an aux input was available for this truck that I can just pop right in...I do know that the Toyota Siennas have a nice factory aux input that might work with some modifications. The problem is, I have searched for days and can't find out where to get one.
Was there a factory aux input option for the tundra for this interior? If so, is it the size of these option plugs? Anyone know where I can pick up one of these inputs (Tundra or Sienna)? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you're just wanting Ipod connectivity, you could look at the USASpec units. I have one (as do many here) and have been more than pleased. In the double cabs, you can run the main wire to the unit and hide it under the center console and then run the ipod wire out the back and in between the dash trim and console trim.

It also gives you additional stereo RCA inputs for another device.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
If you're just wanting Ipod connectivity, you could look at the USASpec units. I have one (as do many here) and have been more than pleased. In the double cabs, you can run the main wire to the unit and hide it under the center console and then run the ipod wire out the back and in between the dash trim and console trim.

It also gives you additional stereo RCA inputs for another device.
Duck:

I have a USA Spec unit I'll sell you. PM me.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have a stock stereo with the single cd player. On the back there is an AUX plug that I plugged an adapter into that I plugged an RCA to Line In cable that I ran to my ashtray where I keep the cord coiled up. When I listen to the MP3 Player (iPod) I just hit the "CD" button twice and plug the cable into the headphone jack on the top of the player. It has been a long time so I forgot what the part # is. But you dont need a new unit to listen to an iPOD.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a stock stereo with the single cd player. On the back there is an AUX plug that I plugged an adapter into that I plugged an RCA to Line In cable that I ran to my ashtray where I keep the cord coiled up. When I listen to the MP3 Player (iPod) I just hit the "CD" button twice and plug the cable into the headphone jack on the top of the player. It has been a long time so I forgot what the part # is. But you dont need a new unit to listen to an iPOD.
Could you once you have time pull up that part number that connects a Y cable (I'm guessing this is what you used) to the factory AUX plug?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Could you once you have time pull up that part number that connects a Y cable (I'm guessing this is what you used) to the factory AUX plug?
I will pull it apart this weekend and post back Monday.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Search eBay, there is a company that sells them that plug into the stock radio aux plug in the rear as explained above.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Search eBay, there is a company that sells them that plug into the stock radio aux plug in the rear as explained above.
That's what I got for mine. Made by Axxesse (not sure of spelling) but they have different models. Mine was 49.95 with buy it now. I have already swapped out the single cd for a 6disc, now using the remote cd changer connection to hook this interface into. Supposedly it will allow full control of the IPOD through the factory head unit. The only down side is that if your using a remote multi-disc unit or have the steering wheel remote controls you have to unhook either of those to use this. Wasn't an issue for me as I have no steering wheel remote or a multi-disc remote cd unit. I'll pull up the auction site and post back later. Jack

·
Registered
777 Posts
If still interested I got mine from iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future just use the drop downs to the correct year and make and the things you need are there.
I have some pictures...

I have more in my albums, This one has no cover, I cant seem to get one on there.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks for the update! Something you could do while you have the dash open is run the aux wire to the glovebox for a clean, hidden look. I believe you would have to go off playlists though.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Thanks for the update! Something you could do while you have the dash open is run the aux wire to the glovebox for a clean, hidden look. I believe you would have to go off playlists though.
That's the only thing with this set up - you have to have the player in your hand to navigate the hard drive.
When it is not in use you don't see any cords.
I thought about the glove box but, then I would have the cord across half the cab.
This works out well for what I use it for. Mainly long trips, around town I'll put a cd in.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got an Alpine headunit for about $135 off amazon. Has a aux input on the front..bought an aux cord off ebay for $2 and the ipod sounds great through it. (I also have Alpine type S speakers front and rear)

Amazon.com: Used and New: ALPINE AM FM CD MP3 DET FACE

Buy the $135 one from AudioOnline. You could also check out crutchfield.com, they will bundle in a reciever kit with mounting hardware and such for $150 I think

1 - 12 of 12 Posts