Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured since a lot of us will probably add aftermarket stereo equipment at some point it would be nice to have a thread with tips from those who have learned something while doing there own install.

Here's a few that I found. My rig is a 5.7 4x4 SR5, regular 6 disc. Bucket seats.

-Amp Remote Power Line -

The easiest place I found to do this is actually the cigarette lighter. That panel pops off and there is a plug to the cigarette lighter with two wires, gray and white. I took the exposed wire from my remote line and just stuck it in where the gray wire goes into the plastic plug making sure the exposed part came into contact with the metal connector that attaches the gray wire. Then tape the two wires together to make sure that the connection stays tight and it works like a charm. Best part is no splicing of factory wires. You can then hide the wire underneath the side pieces of plastic on the center console.

-Amp Positive Power -

On the driver side of the firewall there is a rubber piece that you can see a lot of the factory wiring going into. On the bottom is what resembles a rubber tube thats capped on the engine side. Well if you cut the tip off it happens to be the exact width of the power wire for the amp. It takes a little work because the fit it so tight but it gives you your power wire right on the floorboard where the rest of the wires from the engine come in.

Now here's a neat little gift from Toyota. If you remove the plastic pieces on near the door that hold down the carpet you'll see a plastic bracket that has a wire tube running down the middle. The gift is on the outer side towards the door. You may notice little clips that are about the same size as the amp power wire. Yup you power wire will snap right in there, eliminating the need to try and run it under the carpet.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Great idea for a thread. Thanks for starting this.

·
Registered
260 Posts
One problem with your plan. If you use the cigarrette lighter for the remote power, then the amp will always be on when the truck is running even if your stereo is off. If you turn off the stereo, then the amps should turn off too. You can do that, but your amps will just heat the truck and wear out faster.
Only true if you hook up the remote to the right cigarrette lighter (which is always on) If you hook it up to the left one it comes on with accessories.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One problem with your plan. If you use the cigarrette lighter for the remote power, then the amp will always be on when the truck is running even if your stereo is off. If you turn off the stereo, then the amps should turn off too. You can do that, but your amps will just heat the truck and wear out faster.
Someone drives without the stereo on?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, it's always true. Turn on the truck and then turn off the stereo. The amp will still be on.
This is a good thing to point out for those that drive without the stereo on for bits. Me, its on the whole time I'm in the truck so it works.

·
Registered
260 Posts
No, it's always true. Turn on the truck and then turn off the stereo. The amp will still be on.

Funny how my light on my phone charger only turns on when the truck is off or when its plugged into the right one not the left on... My amps remote signal is running of the left cigarette lighter and my amps turn off when my car turns off.

Research before you speak.

·
Registered
260 Posts
A simple test you can do is to get in your truck. Make sure your truck is turned OFF "no key in the ignition" and push in you cigarette lighter... notice it never gets hot or glows. Now turn your key to accessory position and repeat... notice it glows orange. Your left cigarette lighter plug is the only 12v plug that loses power when the the truck is off.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Has anybody removed the stock 6 disk JBL. I need to get to the back of the stereo to plug in an ipod controler and don't want to screw up the nice face and dash trim getting the stereo out. Any advice would be helpful,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts