Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Stereo Mods

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  asianflava 
#1 ·
Some people are posting that their stock system sounds like crap but I have to admit that mine doesn't sound all that bad and I am pretty sure I dont have the upgraded JBL system.

Also, what would I need to add an amp or two to my stock deck? :beatsme:

2010 CrewMax w/ TRD package.

Thanks!!

#2 ·
Listen to a high end aftermarket audio system with proper imaging and staging AND THEN listen to most stock stereo sytems and you will think they suck. It's just that not many people have ever heard truly lifelike, clean sound so they have nothing to compare factory stuff to. My stock non jbl system had decent clarity but horrible imaging and staging. The speakers were directional and distortion set in way too early. That is why it only lasted a day, as my Hertz/Pioneer/Alpine/Eclipse stuff from my 04 Dakota got transferred over. Now it's like the singer or instrumentalist is standing in the windshield rather than coming half from the lower driver's side door panel and half from the lower passenger side door panel.

For options, look into line output converter, JL Cleansweep, Rockford Fostgate 360. I have often considered going back to my factory head unit for greater ease of use and factory appearance. If I do I will try either option 2 or option 3. These are complete packages, linking factory setups with amplifiers and offering full tuning solutions.

#4 ·
I did not think the stock non jbl radio sucked, it was just not loud enough and no bass. I also wanted to have a back up cam and play dvds.

#7 ·
I love it. It give me a nice volume and great bass. I purchased mine off autotoys.com for $235 back in January.

#8 ·
I wouldn't ever consider myself much of an audiophile. Stock radio sounded decent to me. I'm not picky with MP3 players or if my music has low bit rate. whatever.

Then I replaced my stock headunit for a Pioneer Avic F700bt and OMG!. Its like I got new speakers too!. What a difference!

#9 ·
It's either you care about abundant, quality sound, or you don't. I had the single disk stocker and hated it so bad. Was less enjoyable driving the vehicle with the poorest stock sound system in any vehicle I have ever owned. Of course you can try and talk yourself into thinking its OKish??

#10 ·
#11 ·
Nice ad Popo

#12 ·
I dont even think you need to have proper sound imaging to even sound better than the stock setup. I know when I recently installed my bose acoustic pro60 speakers, boston acoustic gt4100 amp, and pioneer head unit it sounded so much better than stockers.
Listen to a high end aftermarket audio system with proper imaging and staging AND THEN listen to most stock stereo sytems and you will think they suck. It's just that not many people have ever heard truly lifelike, clean sound so they have nothing to compare factory stuff to. My stock non jbl system had decent clarity but horrible imaging and staging. The speakers were directional and distortion set in way too early. That is why it only lasted a day, as my Hertz/Pioneer/Alpine/Eclipse stuff from my 04 Dakota got transferred over. Now it's like the singer or instrumentalist is standing in the windshield rather than coming half from the lower driver's side door panel and half from the lower passenger side door panel.

For options, look into line output converter, JL Cleansweep, Rockford Fostgate 360. I have often considered going back to my factory head unit for greater ease of use and factory appearance. If I do I will try either option 2 or option 3. These are complete packages, linking factory setups with amplifiers and offering full tuning solutions.

#13 ·
to be honest, just adding a better head-unit will make a world of difference. For example, my pioneer unit has a built-in 45wx4 amp that makes the stock speakers sound pretty darn good.

fezdog.... you'll be fine starting out with a small 4-channel amp & the stock radio/speakers.... or do what I did & just upgrade your head-unit first... then c how u like it. In my opinion, you'll b happy, and just maybe add a small sub later for lows...

#14 ·
I have to agree that if you just listen to something other than stock radio you will realize that they seriously suck. I do pro audio work so I knew they sucked and I finally got the $$$ to replace the head unit and what a difference. Even with the poor stock speakers (soon to go too) the system sounds worlds better. Plus I have a DVD player, GPS, hands free bluetooth phone, iPod touch screen - how did I ever live without it! Even the wife, who was not happy about me spending the money, says it was a really good use of money.

P.S. Look at ebay and you can get some really good gear cheap. Do your research and you will be happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.