Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody thought I'd say hello since this is my first post. Just bought the wife an '03 Sequoia SR5. I have a question about the stereo. It has the JBL head unit/speakers now. My question is, could I swap the 'JBL' head unit out with the OEM in-dash 6-disc head unit without any problems? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
45 Posts
yup but it has to be the 03 and up.. as the 2001-2002 are a different wiring harness and dash opening

·
Registered
71 Posts
I also have an 03 Sequoia and I replaced my factory JBL head unit. I had to buy a dash kit to fit the factory opening and I used a single din Alpine unit. I recommend that you let someone that knows electronics to help you. It is a little more difficult than the standard install. I had to piggy back off the factory door speaker amps and use an ohm resistor to eliminate the ground/loop noise. All in all, it sounds great, but the factory system is a pain in the butt to mess with. The only inconveinence is that the door speakers start getting really loud and as you barely turn up the volume. So if you plan on adding a subwoofer or stealthbox, use an amp with a lot of boost to compensate for the piggyback.

Check out my pics

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just did a swap in my Sequoia Friday night. Mounting and wiring took about 1 hour. I will post pics and details in this forum on the awesome head unit when I get a chance. Very clean and easy install. It was a non-JBL system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
that sounds a little wierd.... I installed my stereo in my sequoia with the dash kit and wire harness.... never had to use a resitor to eliminate the pop.... the whole install took 20 min

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, I also installed 3 TV's, an amp, tv tuner, and 5 other interface boxes under my passenger seat/floorboard. That's why I got alot of loop noise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
should still not get loop noise if it is installed properly... I have installed much more than that and still have not recieved noise

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello everyone. I am new with a 2003 Sequoia SR5 2WD. I need some help on Radios and Headers and Cat back. First I am looking at an Alpine IVA-W205. Will it fit and can I do it myself? Also I am looking at the Boston Acoustics Pro series component speakers, will they fit? I want to also install the Alpine PKG-RSE2 rear dvd player in ceiling. Is this hard to install? Next is headers, I am looking at JBA ceramic with HKS cat back and muffler, anyone suggest anything else that will keep it nice and quiet like? I have a K&N intake on the way. Anyone had good luck with the Neoprene seat covers? I have kids and it is a must. That is it for know, I look forward to hearing from you experienced guys.

Take care

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
...install? Next is headers, I am looking at JBA ceramic with HKS cat back and muffler, anyone suggest anything else that will keep it nice and quiet like? ...
The only thing I can comment on here is the headers. The addition of the JBA headers does add some noise under heavy acceleration (especially into the cabin). I'm OK with the noise but my wife hates it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts