Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally have the stereo installed in my 2007 Toyota Tundra DC. Here is what I have:

Sony MEX-BT5100 head unit
Sony Ipod adapto
Kicker ZX700.5 5 channel amplifier
Infinity Kappa 60.9cs 6 1/2" components for the front
old school Soundstream Reference SS6.0 6 1/2" midbass for rears (no tweeters in the rear)
JL Audio 10W0v2 (4ohm) subs
Fox Acoustics subwoofer enclosure made for a 2007+ Toyota Tundra DC

The stereo system rocks! The Infinity components are 2ohm speakers, so I get more out of the amp as a result as well as less distortion. I took pics of the components, but they do no justice. They just look really nice in person. The only thing about them is that the tweeters are pretty big. I had them placed where I did for optimum sound. They can sound bright and their passive xovers come with a (0db, -6db) option. I used the head unit to help tweak it to and they really sing now without sounding too bright now. For the rear, I used some midbass drivers that I had from a previous system, Soundstream reference series 6 1/2's. This is old school Soundstream, when they used to be one of the best audio manufactures. For subs, I went with JL W0s for their efficiency and great sound for the money! They also are relatively shallow and fit perfectly in the enclosure that I ordered from jeff fox of www.foxacoustics.com . It fits under the rear seat perfectly. At first I had gone with a JL Audio sub (8w3 sub in a small enclosure, but I
wanted a little more bass, and boy did I get it with the 2 10s in a ported box!!

Everything is running off of a Kicker ZX700.5 5 channel amp. I am getting 90watts x 2 for the fronts since they are 2 ohm speakers, 70 watts x 2 for the rear, and 400 watts x1 for the subwoofers. What I love about the Kicker amp is that there is an xover built in along with a wired remote bass control that is mounted close to the driver's side, so I can turn up or down the bass.

The system sounds really clear and can put out some volume and some serious bass if you so chose to. Like I said, I can adjust the gains for the subwoofer, so I can go all out crazy or be more conservative. I spent a lot of time researching what I could get for the money. I am really happy with the results. The hardest obstacle was to get some bass without having a huge box in the back. I wanted the rear seats to be functional afterall, and got just that.

What type of music do I listen to? All kinds, but mostly hip/hop, hard rock, and some electronica and rap music. This system delivers! Everything was professionally installed. I have installed past systems, but going to school FT and working FT, who has the time? Everything is secured with an Autopage security system with remote start.

It took some time, but thanks to getting tax refund money back, I was able to finally accomplish it. :)

I don't have very good pics of the amp. I just did not want to remove the rear seat to take pics, so I apologize in advanced. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Looks good. One small detail though, pop off the door cards and paint those MDF speaker adapters flat black, then they will disappear in the door. They kinda stick out a little unpainted.

Nice system, sounds like you really like it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yeah, paint the MDF black. Just wondering why you did not get a double din radio?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, paint the MDF black. Just wondering why you did not get a double din radio?
I do not like any of the double DIN radios. I would have loved to have a DVD/Navi system, but they are too expensive, so I had to go with a single DIN. I mostly listen to my Ipod, CDs, and sometimes the radio, so it was a nice fit. I probably would rarely use the Navi system and/or DVD had I gotten that so the best bang for my buck was the single DIN player.

Good idea about painting it over with black paint. The only problem with that though would be my interior would smell like paint for weeks, even if I aired out the box for a long time after painting. It would look nicer, but in real life it is not that bad. With the camera flash on, it looks like a lighter gray against the black interior than it really is.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I painted mine outside and let dry for an hour. My truck did not smell at all. I know it will be a pain to remove the door panel again, but it will be worth it.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
yeah, no worries on the smell. take them out, hang from a tree and shoot them and let them dry in the sun for about an hour..... they wont stink.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I painted mine outside and let dry for an hour. My truck did not smell at all. I know it will be a pain to remove the door panel again, but it will be worth it.
You must be talking about the front speakers? You really can't tell at all except that the camera flash is so bright, but by the naked eye, you can't see the wood, so I am not worried about it. I was thinking you were talking about spraying the carpeted box black. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts