Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Toyota Tundra with a stock radio control in it. It is going out and I would like to know the best replacement (thats not stock) that does NOT have GPS built in. Thanks TS!:happy3d:

·
Registered
688 Posts
We really need to know more information.

What is your budget? Are you going to be all about sq? or features? Are you running amps/subs?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Pioneer AVH-P3300BT 5.8-Inch Touch Screen DVD Player : AVHP3300BT : VMInnovations.com

im getting this one (or an equivalent when the time comes) for my next vehicle. its not jps but i think it can be upgraded if wanted has usp smd and aux ports. has 3 sets of rcas (which i need 1 sub amp and 1 4 channel amp for door speakers). its double din so u wont need the silly spacer kit. pioneer is decent quality (like the single din i have now) and it touch screen.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We really need to know more information.

What is your budget? Are you going to be all about sq? or features? Are you running amps/subs?
Sorry about the info, I was tired. Everything is going to stay stock, with the exception of maybe down the road installing a sub. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
If you want to leave it stock check out the stock headunits in Scions, the T1808 and T1809 made by Pioneer. If you have a completely base system, these are both plug and play with no need to cut wires. I had an 1808 in my truck for a few months and loved it but decided to upgrade to the 1809 because I found one that came with the Sirius equipment and it has pre-outs. Either will make your stock speakers sound much better and allow you to play mp3 discs. You can also get a cable that will allow you to control your iPod from the deck, I leave mine in my glovebox.

Ebay is a great place to source these units and you should be able to get the 1808 for ~$50 and the 1809 for ~$90 or so.

I have an '06 but I'm fairly certain either of these would work for you.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sorry about the info, I was tired. Everything is going to stay stock, with the exception of maybe down the road installing a sub. Thanks for your help.
Assuming this unit is within the budget, I would get this radio.

Kenwood KDC-BT848U CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

It has 6 channel pre-outs for amps, (Front, Rear, and Sub) which are @ 2.5V, and also has Bluetooth built in.

Kenwoods are great quality headunits.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have a pioneer 2300DVD same thing as what Italian wants but without the sd card slot basically. I get all my sound equipment from crutchfield, they have great costumer service.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more question. Crutch field.com says that I should buy a 75$ adapter for my tundra. I DO have a JBL audio system. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
One more question. Crutch field.com says that I should buy a 75$ adapter for my tundra. I DO have a JBL audio system. Thanks.
do you have steering wheel controls? if you do you will most likely need it to have them work again, if you can live without them (i wouldnt due to the convinience) you wont need it. i looked up the basics of your truck and thats what the $70 adapter says

obt the only reason im looking at that one is the same model without the sd cad slot only has 2 sets of rcas and i need 3 the one i posted has 3. i could do with out it but it will come in handy when im out at the camp and dont bring my laptop, and try to look at the trail cam pics :p.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Ahh I get you

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
The pioneer 3300 is a great stereo. that is what I was going to get before I blew all my money on a new rifle. The other noticeable differences with the 3300 and the 2300 is features like blue-tooth, HD radio and dual zone A/V to name a few. If you can live without some of these little upgrades go with the 2300. All the internals are the same otherwise

·
Registered
87 Posts
I put a Pioneer AVH-4300DVD (which I see now they no longer offer on their site :mellow3d: about 3 months) and it is way better than the stock one. I had the JBL system in mine so I used the adapter harness with the stock JBL amp. The only thing ill probably do is put better speakers in, the stock ones are terrible if you want any kind of low bass.

And my dad is going to put the Kenwood DNX9980HD into his 05, I would have went with the Pioneer Nav one but I already have a Garmin GPS and my Iphone for my GPS needs.

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
JacobC93, if you haven't made a decision yet, I'd recommend the T1808 or T1809 from a Scion. After noticing Defhaps comment about the T1808, I thought I'd give it a shot. Picked up the radio from Craigslist seller last night, and installed it tonight, in less than an hour. Direct replacement, easy install, and the sound is much better than the stock.
Defhaps, thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts