Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a Toyota dealer tonight and they wouldn't take more than 3K off the sticker price of a Tundra 4x4 that I wanted. Sales guy said at 3K off the sticker they were making no money on the truck.

Then we get to talking financing and the sales guy whips out a spreadsheet showing how he could only finance me at 5.9 % apr. Said there was nothing could do and that it was Toyota's numbers and he couldnt' budge. I told him no dice and walked out.

I was in the car ready to leave and the sales guy walks up and says they'd give me 1.9 apr if i financed it for one less year. So he was basically lying about the financing,which makes me think he was BS'ing me about not being able to drop the price of the truck further.

Frustrating to say the least.

Anyone know a good Toyota sales guy? I'm ready to buy now but dont want to get burned.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Goto Edmunds.com and do that True market value thing. That apparently tells you what kind of money they are actually getting sold for on average. Then email the fleet/internet sales department of the dealerships you are willing to travel to. Get some offers and see which comes in lowest. If you don't keep your vehicles for the full finance term, then you might be better off taking any rebates instead of the financing (if thats what they are offering now) and financing through your credit union.

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
They are pulling your chain, Toyota is trying to burn off the 2010 inventory. Last week I picked up a 4x4 double cab TRD for $3K under invoice (plus taxes and title), and yes - the invoice price they showed was within a few hundred of what Edmunds showed. Basically $7K off of sticker price. Oh, and I had got pre approved at two different credit unions for 3.9% APR - the dealership beat it with 3.59%.

Now, if you are lookink at a 2011 - the above will not apply.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Go to Edmunds.com and build your Tundra and see what it costs, do the same at Kelleybluebook.com. Go to Secretautoprice and input your Tundra. Make copies of all the invoice prices and go see Ralph G. at Frontier Toyota in Valencia, Ca. right near Magic Mountain. He will help you get the Tundra at the price you want. We have bought our lst and 2nd generation Tundras with the help of Ralph at the price I wanted which was $200 above invoice. Stand by your guns and don't move off your price and let them sweat the deal! Get pre-approved by your/a credit union and get your financing in order to get Toyota to beat the credit unions' rate. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought a 2010 about 2 months ago. I researched dealers from near and far. This is what I did before my purchase. First we all hate going into a dealership and trying to get the price right so do your research.!!!! I wanted a White TRD and they could get me the truck I wanted and the sticker was 31,775 I believe. I found a dealership offering incentives 4 hours away and was offering the truck I wanted for 26,500 which was after a rebate or low financing. I called my salesperson and asked if they could do this price and he said there was no way and this price was probably not correct. I emailed them the page link to the other dealership and truck and told them I would drive to get that truck. Well, 1 hour later they called back and said they would match that price but tacked on some BS dealer fee for 500 bucks I think and they wouldn't budge on that. Anyway, I had to deposit 1000 bucks for them to get the truck but I believe it was from SE Toyota. I gave them a check and 2 days later it was ready for pick up. Next, the kind people on here helped me with an extended warranty question. The finance person would not let me defer the ext warranty untill he explained it and said he would not offer this good deal after I left that day. He was pressuring me and he lied and I didn't get it. You can find a much better rate through post on here so no matter what they say you can purchase a warranty somewhere else. Oh, at least get a interest rate from your source before you go in because they said the best they could do was 6% which I said thanks I'm heading to my bank and got up. He then hit his computer keys and voila he kept coming down till I got3.something%. I also got 200,000 powertrain warranty and free oil changes for life and after inquiring a 2 year complimentary service plan included. So do your research before you go because they want to sell more than you should need the truck. The internet has given the buyer now a upper hand. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Went to a Toyota dealer tonight and they wouldn't take more than 3K off the sticker price of a Tundra 4x4 that I wanted. Sales guy said at 3K off the sticker they were making no money on the truck.

Then we get to talking financing and the sales guy whips out a spreadsheet showing how he could only finance me at 5.9 % apr. Said there was nothing could do and that it was Toyota's numbers and he couldnt' budge. I told him no dice and walked out.

I was in the car ready to leave and the sales guy walks up and says they'd give me 1.9 apr if i financed it for one less year. So he was basically lying about the financing,which makes me think he was BS'ing me about not being able to drop the price of the truck further.

Frustrating to say the least.

Anyone know a good Toyota sales guy? I'm ready to buy now but dont want to get burned.
Just got my 2010 4x4 DC LTD 5.7, TRD

$500 incentive from corporate off invoice, with 0.0% for 60 months, 2 years maintenance, free bed-liner

~3K off sticker is invoice on that model. Sticker is ~41,500 and invoice is about 38ish.

I got to see the real invoice as my old man used to be pretty high up in toyota. There is more stuff in the invoice price than most people see, but it does total up to about 38Kish on that truck, so they are not BSing you depending on what your looking at.

There is not 5K mark-up on this model.

Also keep in mind that the 3K incentive offered right now is a corporate incentive so whatever price you get from the dealer that 3K comes off in ADDITION to that. So if you can find a dealer that will do 300 over invoice, you would then get the 3K off that price as well. Don't let them tell you that the 3K from toyota corporate is the 3K off they will give you. You should get a reduction from the sticker from the dealer and the 3K incentive. You have to let them make some money though, so I usually start with a 2-4 hundred over invoice and then negotiate from there

good luck and the truck is sweet.

I think the deal in July was better than now. 3K off is good,but they $500 off plus 0.0% for 60 was better (when your spending almost 40K anyway).

·
Registered
8 Posts
We got our CM 2 weeks ago and it was 5k off plus a free bed liner and SS step rails.
Financing was 4.59% from toyota.
We went back a couple days later and the sales mgr said the incentives had changed.
This was in the SE region.
We had 2 dealerships competing for the best price.
Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
The best advice I can give you consists of two things:
1) Do your homework - know what their invoice price is on the car and start your negotiations there. I've already seen some folks recommend edmunds.com and their "True Market Value" tool. I used it and it helped me get the dealer down ~5K from their sticker (Plus 0%APR and 1500 cash back on a 2010 Crew Max).

2) Find a salesman that you feel comfortable with. Do you get a good/bad "vibe" from the guy? Once you've done your homework...is he pulling any of the "funny numbers" tricks or is he shooting you straight?

I'd toss in a 3rd and most valuable...but you already walked out on the deal when they played the shell game. Good Job.

EJ

·
Banned
444 Posts
for the record, I got my 8K under the sticker price, and they still made plenty of money. and 5.5% at 75mo.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
for the record, I got my 8K under the sticker price, and they still made plenty of money. and 5.5% at 75mo.
crap....75 months....dam.....like buying a house......here i thought 5 years sucked....

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought my 2010 DC LTD 3 weeks ago and got it for invoice with a "free" bed-liner, 0% for 60 months, 2 years of maintenance, etc. I researched every dealer within 200 miles and all seemed to be with $200 bucks above or below invoice. The one in line who was able to give me the most for my trade was the winner.

:twocents:

First post...look out!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Been selling Toyotas for 21 years and specialize in Trucks,I am in NJ though but get me the serial# to the truck you want and I wil l let you know how much the truck costs exactly.3k is about all the markup in a Tundra with an MSRP of 34k or more.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Check jimbarkleytoyota.com, they have upfront discounted prices which local dealers often happily meet or they deliver.

Calling or emailing is less work for both sides of the deal - they don´t pay the internet sales guy that much commission I guess.

·
Banned
444 Posts
crap....75 months....dam.....like buying a house......here i thought 5 years sucked....

ahah Yeh, Well I Added another $10,000 worth of crap to it, Along with Gap insurance, financial charges ETC. wanted to keep it under $600mo.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dealers just love when people focus more on monthly payments than the sales price. BTW, I got $7600 off the MSRP on my Platinum Crewmax 5.7 4x4. Simply awesome truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check jimbarkleytoyota.com, they have upfront discounted prices which local dealers often happily meet or they deliver.

Calling or emailing is less work for both sides of the deal - they don´t pay the internet sales guy that much commission I guess.
Wow they do have great prices!

I doubt any Southern California dealer here would meet that price though. BUMMER

·
Registered
89 Posts
My brother just bought a 2011 CrewMax 4x4 TRD Off Road @ 16.5% off of MSRP...it calculated to be around
$6,700 off of the sticker price. Oh yeah, he got 3.9% financing also. Im buying one at the end of February with
the same percentage off of the truck.....he's jerking your chain.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I purchased my 2001 DC 2wd on the last day of the year. The sticker was $29k, and I walked out paying $24k with 0% for 60 months through Toyota. Also got the Toyota Care package & LoJack included. Thank you Moss Bros. Moreno Valley, CA.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts