Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When turning the vent mode selector between floor and floor/defroster, it is very stiff in my truck at times when the temperature is about 35 and below and the truck cab hasn't been warmed. I replaced the mode control cable, thinking the wire inside the sheathe was binding, but that hasn't helped. The mode selector turns very easily when the mode control cable is NOT connected to the air inlet control link (AICL). I sprayed where the rod from the AICL enters the housing where the dampers are for changing the vent settings, but this hasn't helped either. I'm convinced the dampers inside the housing need to be lubed somehow; there must be something inside there that is dry and causing the damper to bind. I have the OEM repair manual, but am hoping for an easier fix than disassembling my dash and the hvac's damper housing.

Thoughts? Surely with the First Gen Tundra's being at least 6 years old, a Toyota technician has worked on this on his own First Gen Tundra or a DIY'er has been successful.

I have a '06 DC SR5 w/92K mi.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I have the same prob. but have yet the opportunity to diagnose it.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Have a look here. Iforce had to pull his HVAC and have it replaced. So he kept the old one to mess around with, Yes, they are 2 different gens but the HVAC units are basically the same with the exceptions of yours being cable driven to open the doors. He might be able to take some pics or tell you something about the unit.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/231019-heat-problem/

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
I just had my heater, A/C and blower units out.
Yes, in the heater box, there are, IIRC, 5 "doors" that swing to direct heat to the proper ducts. They are lubed with a white lithium grease. On my '00, most of the grease was dried up, and on the areas that actually made contact with the "hinges", I had rust and corrosion. The "doors", are made out of that cheaper metal, and have no coating other than what looks like a light chromate, for corrosion resistance. Of course, this stuff wears off, and its so thin, after a few years of the humidity that gets sucked through everything, begins to corrode.

Without actually pulling the box to take it apart and clean/lube properly, I would get some white lithium in a spray can, and lube the hinges you can get to. Dont go overboard...the plastic that the hinges "snap" into is only about 1/4"-3/8" wide (You wont be able to get to all of them, even though all the "hinge" pins either have "levers" attached, the other ends still protrude from the case, but are on the top or bottom of the heater box.

Also, there are gears and arms on the outside of the box that should be lubed with the white lithium grease..(the thick, "paste" stuff..) I think most of those are on the driver's side of the heater unit...There are some on the bottom, also...With some practice at contortionism, you should be able to get to them.

Does it loosen up when the heater warms up?....Maybe you should check your A/C drain vent, and make sure it isnt clogged...Could be a small puddle of condensation that is getting everything wet, then freezing on the moving parts.

I guess another instance where I should have taken more pics when I had my interior completely stripped down to the firewall, and my heater, A/C & blower completely disassembled.... lol

Hope thats all your issue is, and that there isnt a dead squirrel in there jamming up the doors... :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.