Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got new rims and tires and they are 285/75/16 on my 4wd double cab tundra. I know it calls for 265's. well the new tires are great, very smooth until i hit highway speeds of 60 or more then theres a vibration throughout the truck that everyone can feel.. is the truck not built for that big of a tire? is there anyway it can be fixed with something i can buy or tweak? all components seem to be in good shape.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i really dont think its the balancing. i had bfg ats on it for 40,000 miles balanced every 7k or less and not all at the same place.The tires were mounted on american racing victor rims. i tried sams first, then tire kingdom, then a local big name shop here in deland,fl that specializes in offroad accesories and lifts. really good service usually. like i said up to about 65mph its perfect just when i get faster than that theres a vivration in all the seats.. does it need sway bar stuff? or anyone else have issues with the bigger tires? i now have brad new helo rims with brand new toyo ats 285/75/16 they did use loadforce/roadforce balancing.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Tires can be balanced all day long but they must be checked on a ROAD FORCE Hunter machine to see if they are round.

Unknown to most customers, many tires are not perfectly circular, thus shaking and vibrating at certain speeds.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so now my next question is how do i know where one of these amazing machines is, and also most of the people at these shops are just like yea we have a hunter and thats all they know... any suggestions on big name shops that have it together for this..... also with the situation i explained above being i have no vibration until i hit 65 then there is a little in the steering wheel, and then when i hit 70mph above its shaking in the seats and the wheel.. someone please let me know because i need this fixed before june as i will be trailering a boat up to lake guntersville,alabama...do i need sway bar bushings? rack bushing lol im kinda clueless but really curious if you know what i mean... i dont want to vibrate all the way from florida there! also i was wondering if anyone knows how much an 04 tundra double cab 4wd is capable to tow.. and at what weight to i need to have OD off? let me know thanks kyle.

·
Registered
655 Posts
shank lug nuts

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
when you have the wheel/tires rebalanced, have the technition check the "runout" thats the term for an out of round tire. I work at a tire shop and one customer had new tires put onto stock rims (it was a dodge ram) and had a horrable vibration, we rebalanced them 3 times gave him 2 new tires, and still nothing. The tires did have some runout but iv seen worse. We ended up giving the customes 4 new tires, excact same, and that fixed the problem. And lots of weights is not good but some times giving the tire a 180 spin on the rim helps too.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Have the shop get you a new set of tires. Those prob sat on a shelf for awhile or just run them for a couple weeks then get rebalanced. The machines don't really lie. It's mostly the tires. I do tires all day long!! We have a hunter machine with Road force.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The tow capacity will be in your book but should be 7100# or less as the 06 DC 4x4 is 7100# with a 5 speed tranny. As far as OD, it all depends on drag and terrain. If the tranny is hunting, turn it off. If it stays in OD cruising on the flats leave it on till it starts hunting.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the lug nuts were replaced with acorn nuts when i got aftermarket rims. supposably the rims are hub centric... what ticks me off it sits not a big wobble or big vibration.. its a real tight shake, very fast vibration. the steering wheel will go back and forth about an inch really fast vibration and In the seats its also very quick vibration, but i cant figure out where at in the truck and i have to be at high speeds to feel it so its hard to test run in the city

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
another question i have is, are thses trucks just weak, and cant handle going from the stock 265s to 285s? i had a ranger that was just to weak to upgrade.... another member said it could be a tranny mount.. any one back that up?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Had a shimmy in the seat of an old Ford van at high RPM from a bent drive shaft but that wasn't felt really in the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I have 285/70R17's on my 00 tundra and they run fine, untill I put 600 or so pounds in my box I did have some slight vibration in the rear, not sure why, I do have an AAL&1inch block but that shouldn't cause any issues IMO.

·
Registered
655 Posts
trust me,SHANK LUG NUTS,i will send you an oil filter if im wrong,i do this for a living.been around this block one to many times,now every vehicle gets shank lug nuts,and guess what,no more problems.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
EXACTLY well heres the deal so far after sitting at 2 different tire shops today that usually know what they are doing i have come to the conclusion that either these trucks are really weak or im missing something like i said previously heres what i have... 2004 tundra 4x4 dc with 122,000 miles. when i bought the truck it had steel the regular i believe alloy wheels.. well all at one time i put on a lift from fat bob's garage which was 2.5in spacer lift kit and 1in rear blocks, helo 791 rims that at 16x8 omm offset and 4.5 backspacing.... well on those i put 285/75/16 toyo a/t tires..... i have VIBRATION! these is a small amount of vibration in truck that is tolerable, but what isnt is whats in the steering wheel! If i let go of it and once im above 50 or so i can watch it shake back and forth pretty good prob an inch, and if im holding it my hand shakes pretty good... well the have were spun and balanced 4 times today just because the shop swore it was balance issue.. well still there... the wheels are angled in the lugs so my stocks of corse didnt work so tried the acorn nut which is what i had vibration with , and now tried what they called et lug nuts which are supposed to help with the hub centric.... still vibrating in wheel back and forth... now im taking a big trip with boat in a month and that going to be a terrible ride with tis issue... Like i said im told these rims are hubcentric... had it aligned at 2 diffrent places no luck... drives straight though lol... tried to get them to hit dj's spec which im not sure apply with the spacers and all, and the closest they could get was .07 toe... 0.68(left)caster0.13(right).......0.32(left)camber-0.35(right)... why can they not get closer and will this help? please someone help me ive wasted manny manny days on this! rather talk on phone if possible 386-216-2533 or [email protected] sooner the better leaving for trip soon... can these trucks handle the bigger tire or what? any response appreciated

1 - 20 of 34 Posts