Toyota Tundra Forums banner
101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2008 5.7 liter and had to replace a leaking radiator at 115K miles in May of 2014. Fortunately, no tranny damage, just a leaker. My dealer got Toyota to supply the radiator no charge and he provided the labor no charge, so I am happy about the end result.

But I also took the truck to a radiator only-repair shop and was told this was common because "...there are a lot of plastic parts" to this radiator. Hot water/liquids and plastic do not sound like a great combination to me, but it is what it is. I guess I was lucky to spot the leak before things to worse.

·
Veteran Member
1,477 Posts
I've been monitoring this thread for a couple years and decided to buy a new radiator at Walmart for my 2000 Tundra. I haven't worried about the plastic/aluminum radiator since I owned a VW Rabbit with the same type construction and it still had the original radiator when I sold it after 36 years and 280K miles. My Tundra has 140K and I've only have drained and replaced about 1/2 of the coolant (with Toyota Red) since new. The transmission fluid has never been changed. I drained and flushed the cooling system yesterday and the coolant was completely clean and appeared as new. The radiator also looks like new inside, and the transmission cooler fittings do not look corroded. The new Denso radiator is a one row core rather than the original two. From what I've read, that shouldn't be a problem and it should cool as well as the old one. I still haven't pulled the old radiator, but plan to hang onto it unless the trans cooler fittings come off when I remove the hoses. Any comments regarding 1 row vs. 2 row cores? Thanks! - Bob

·
Registered
11,767 Posts
Rest assured that you've done the right thing. That new radiator is cheap insurance against the dreaded 'Strawberry Milkshake' that many others have suffered from.
It happened to my brother's Tundra right after a transmission service at the dealership. He caught it right away and saved his transmission but had to have the transmission serviced again after replacing the radiator and coolant.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
I had to run through the thread to see if I had posted earlier and found that I had so I updated that post and will update here as well.

I ended up changing out the original radiator at about 290,000 miles. No pink milkshake but it was leaking from all along the top where the plastic header is crimped to the aluminum core. When I go the replacement radiator (Denso of course) I found that several of the tabs were not crimped around the main inlet and main outlet for the coolant so before installation I carefully crimped them with a pair of pliers.

·
Veteran Member
1,477 Posts
When I got the replacement radiator (Denso of course) I found that several of the tabs were not crimped around the main inlet and main outlet for the coolant so before installation I carefully crimped them with a pair of pliers.
I'll be sure to check that on mine - Thanks! Was your new one a one row core - and if so, can you tell any difference in how it works? - Bob

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
I'll be sure to check that on mine - Thanks! Was your new one a one row core - and if so, can you tell any difference in how it works? - Bob
To be honest I do not remember but I will check shortly. The truck runs cooler with the new radiator possibly because the original one may have had build up. An independent shop at one point mixed in green coolant telling me that it was perfectly fine to do so despite my explanations as to why it was not. Ended up having the coolant system flushed at Toyota.

Reactions: Jonesy

·
Registered
11,767 Posts
Does this radiator issue also pertain to the 3.4l radiator?

That's a really good question ~ I'm glad you brought that up.
Seems as though this is something pertaining to the V8 Automatic equipped 1Gen Tundras.
I've not heard of such from the folks driving the V6 Automatic vehicles.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yes, it does apply to the 3.4 motor.
I read a 3rd gen 4runner forum off and on and there is a pretty high incidence of pink milkshakes.
I'm planning to put a new radiator and timing belt/wpump in my 3.4 4runner this summer.

Reactions: Jonesy

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Oops.

Wirelessf had already provided a link earlier regarding the 3.4s.

I'm gonna have to re-read this thread and take a look at how my aftermarket cooler was installed from years ago. I do just plan on bypassing the OEM

·
Veteran Member
1,477 Posts
I pulled my old radiator and it doesn't seem to have any problems with the trans oil cooler fittings. I pulled both of them, and they look fine compared to the ones posted earlier in the thread. I'll try to post a picture. - Bob

Attachments

·
Veteran Member
1,477 Posts
That's the one I got for my 2000. It has a few slight differences, but seems well built. Be careful to get all the bolts threaded in a ways by hand before you try tightening with a wrench. They are very easy to cross thread, since the new radiator has loose fitting U-nuts rather than the weld nuts like the original. Check the trans cooler fittings to see if they're corroded on the old one - I'm curios because mine were still fine. I don't think I really needed a new radiator. :rolleyes: - Bob

·
Registered
99 Posts
Did anyone mention testing the transmission fluid via blackstonelabs.com and seeing if you have a problem? I have a 2006 where just had all the fluids flushed. Plus I have a SCAN GUAGE II on my truck to watch the transmission temperature. Regardless I can see getting the radiator inspected. Is there any chance that Toyota fixed this issue in later model years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just looked at my 2006 Tundra. I have three radiators!! WTF. A really small one that sits in front of the others. A regular size that sits in front of everything ( likely the AC), and the regular main radiator.

·
Registered
11,767 Posts

That's funny ~ the same thing happened to me.

That itty-bitty radiator that sits in front of the others is a cooler for your ATF.

The one behind that is the condenser for your A/C system.

The last one is the radiator for your engine coolant.

·
Registered
99 Posts

That's funny ~ the same thing happened to me.

That itty-bitty radiator that sits in front of the others is a cooler for your ATF.

The one behind that is the condenser for your A/C system.

The last one is the radiator for your engine coolant.

But the discussion in this thread was about a coolant system that was built into the existing radiator. So the 2003 first generation is completely different from the 2006? Or am I missing something?

·
Supportive Supporter
1,144 Posts
I dunno.......I have 330K miles on my truck, I am the original owner. and it's still on the original radiator and most of the hoses. I do all the maintenance on it and it only gets Toyota parts and fluids. Just sayin'......so far---------so GOOD!!!!!!!

Reactions: xsnrg06Limited
101 - 120 of 138 Posts