Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the stock rims are 18x8.5?

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Which ones? The TRD wheels are 18x8

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
The OEM alloy wheels I had are 18x8 as well

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the trd alloy 18. I'm trying to see if I can put a drag radial on it. The drag radial is rated at 9.5. Dont know what would happen if you put it on a 8.5 in rim? If that is what the stock rims are?

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I've got the trd alloy 18. I'm trying to see if I can put a drag radial on it. The drag radial is rated at 9.5. Dont know what would happen if you put it on a 8.5 in rim? If that is what the stock rims are?
The TRD wheels are only 8" wide. I doubt that tire will work on those wheels.
These wheels are 18x8-

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry to hijack the OP thread.

I would like to buy just 1 stock alloyed rims that came with my 2010 TRD off-road package. Where can I find it?
Thanks,
Cal

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Sorry to hijack the OP thread.

I would like to buy just 1 stock alloyed rims that came with my 2010 TRD off-road package. Where can I find it?
Thanks,
Cal
ebay, sparks toyota, local junk yard......

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Just wondering if the stock rims are 18x8.5?
I think the best thing to do is call Mickey Thompson and ask them straight up. Tell them what you got and what you want to do. They can tell you whether it will work or not. A lot of guys on the forum are running wider tires than their rim is rated at but I don't know if slicks would work on a setup like that, especially since most of the tires that are wider than the rim are 4x4 tires. You could also call a local speed shop or call a local tire shop and just run some of these scenarios by them and see what they have to say.

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
I am almost 100% sure you can fit a wider tire on a skinnier rim...

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I am almost 100% sure you can fit a wider tire on a skinnier rim...
I'm running a 305 on a 8" wheel, it is rated for a 8.5" minimum. A half inch isn't that much but he's talking about 1.5" skinnier than the minimum... I think it would squeeze the tire too much and make it bow out in the middle...

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
^^^It may, good point... :) Only one way to find out Jason. :D

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^It may, good point... :) Only one way to find out Jason. :D
Don't know if I want to take that chance. MT told me no don't do it.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
If you can afford drag tires, you can afford the right wheels for them. I see too many people put wider tires than they should on stock wheels. They may get away with it with their grocery getter but they have less performance than a proper width tire.
Why bother with drag tires if the stock tires perform just as well due to too narrow a wheel

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I just order rims and drag radials (Nitto) instead of MT's I hope I did the right thing.:unsure3d:

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
As long as you plan on racing on pavement, you've better off. If you plan on mudding, maybe not. Glad you went for the wider wheels

1 - 17 of 17 Posts