Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys replaced the stock bushings on your front swaybar and if so what sizes did you use? I'm thinking about just replacing the pathetic stock bushings with polyurethane bushings instead of replacing the bar. I looked in the shop manual and it doesn't give any diameters for the bar or links instead it just shows parts and their order in the assembly. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Simply use An open ended wrench as a gauge to determine the sway bar size if you don't have a set of calipers

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
Have any of you guys replaced the stock bushings on your front swaybar and if so what sizes did you use? I'm thinking about just replacing the pathetic stock bushings with polyurethane bushings instead of replacing the bar. I looked in the shop manual and it doesn't give any diameters for the bar or links instead it just shows parts and their order in the assembly. Thanks guys.
I measured the inside diameter of one of the Wheeler's poly sway bar bushings and got 29/32".

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the measurement.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts

stock front sway bar diameter = 1". i had remembered reading this before here on ts and i used krochus's method for a measurement to double check. :tu:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the diameter. The stock bar is quite a bit smaller than the hellwig replacement. Now I'm going to have to think this one out.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
you're welcome.

neverenoughauto.com. hellwig front sway bar for $165.00 with free shipping. if you have a 14mm socket wrench and some ramps or jack stands, it'll take you less than an hour to remove the old and install the new. i was glad i did, and like you, i already had the rear hellwig sway bar installed. as i gaze into my crystal ball... i can see where this is going. :tu::tu:

and for kicks and grins make sure to take a little drive during the install without a sway bar up front. :eek: then you'll get to experience the other extreme.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
For what its worth I am pretty sure the size is stamped on the bushings in mm's. Not that it is easy to stick your head in there and read it but it should be there.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the front linkages disconnected when I did the struts however I didn't see any markings and the bushings were super compressed already. I think that I'm just going to get the hellwig to match the rear bar. Thanks everybody for your replies.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
For what its worth I am pretty sure the size is stamped on the bushings in mm's. Not that it is easy to stick your head in there and read it but it should be there.
The sway bars are measured in inches. Stock is 15/16" (1") and the Hellwig bar is 1.25". The Wheelers poly bushings have no markings on them.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
The sway bars are measured in inches. Stock is 15/16" (1") and the Hellwig bar is 1.25". The Wheelers poly bushings have no markings on them.
I build Corolla/Matrix. From our plant the sway bar busings are stamped with the diameter of the sway bar on them. It is to ensure wrong parts dont get put on. They are not in inches they are in millimetres. Not saying Tundra's are the same but most Toyota plants use similar parts so that is why I said "pretty sure". I would guess there would be a "30" stamped on the sides of the stock bushings since 30mm is about 1 inch.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
That is what I have on board. My kit is in Red though.

Have any of you guys replaced the stock bushings on your front swaybar and if so what sizes did you use? I'm thinking about just replacing the pathetic stock bushings with polyurethane bushings instead of replacing the bar... Thanks guys.
If you decide to just replace the bushings (I used the Wheelers kit noted) here is a pic of the setup. Not the best pic, but, it shows well enough for you to see. (Btw, the sway bar is powdercoated, and you can also see the new brake lines)

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I should edit my reply. I am wrong about the conversion. I was thinking 300mm to 1 foot. I think there are about 25mm to 1 inch.
Bam- Your pics do however look exactly the same as the bushings on Corolla/Matrix. Bigger obviously but same design.

JB- I am pretty sure the underside of your truck is cleaner than my kitchen table. When I say I hate you, I mean that in the nicest way.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
JB- I am pretty sure the underside of your truck is cleaner than my kitchen table. When I say I hate you, I mean that in the nicest way.
Thanks, I take it as a compliment. There is a lot of detail under there, and always adding to it. Call it a labor of love for detailing.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Thanks, I take it as a compliment. There is a lot of detail under there, and always adding to it. Call it a labor of love for detailing.
I just picked mine up last night from getting detailed. I took some pics that I hope to add to my gallery once I figure it out. I wish there were detailers out there who did under body work. If the underside of mine looked half as good as yours I would definately be willing to pay for it. I am just happy right now with how the top side and interior came out.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JBtoy that setup looks really nice. I just ordered my front hellwig from summit (had some summit bucks I'd forgotten about) so I'll get it installed once it arrives.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts