Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 08 DC 2 weeks ago. Took it on a road trip last weekend. From what I can tell, the stereo is stock non-JBL. While playing around with the audio settings, I came across the ASL setting. It can be set to off, low, mid, high. I was somewhat aware of this feature; however, I am finding that if this setting is set to anything but off, the very low frequencies are horrendous. I have tried even setting the bass levels to -2,-3 and I still get a significant low-end distortion. If I turn this off and leave bass level at -2 or -3 then it is better.

I have read about all the problems with radios, but outside of this problem I am having I have not experieinced any of the other reported problems like presets getting reset or volume control not responding etc...

Has anyone else experienced this problem with low frequency distortion. Don't get me wrong, I like bass, but this is just plain bad.

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Yeep. The "designer" pumps up the bass to make things sound subjectively better, but he can't afford to provide a beefy enough amp / speakers to properly reproduce the humps. Keep the ASL off and the bass down low enough to taste, as you have been.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
my ASL has been off since i bought it. its the worst version ive seen. my gm's in teh past were great. it adjusts way too high of a volume so if you are already listening to it at a fairly "enjoyable" level, then when u get up to speed its gonna try to blow the doors off the truck...overcompensates.

now, that said, the one on my silverado, vette, and my dads goldwing motorcycle are kinda fun to do a brake check with...u can stop quickly enough to slow down and stop before the radio can catch up so u slam on the brakes, stop and then you can hear it lowering the volume haha. kinda one of those things u do once or twice and get over it but i did nonetheless

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I have the JBL system in my truck and have not seen any issues with the ASL. Mine adjust smoothly and keeps a clean sound. I did change out all of my factory speakers to Memphis a few months ago. My pops just bought a 2010 with the non-JBL and he had the same issue with crappy sound. I pulled his door panels and installed the JBL speakers I removed from my truck and it made a world of difference. Sound stays clean and clear until you are really pushing the receiver then you start getting some distortion. I used to own a Car Audio business and forgot how cheap some of these factory speakers really are.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you replace the stock speakers can you get a decent sound without an amp and sub? i know sometimes better speakers need more power and it they don't have that they sound crappy. How many speakers total and suggestions..

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Carefully remove your door panels and the rip the crappy speakers out and replace them with ANYTHING and it would sound better. The stock speakers will blow your mind when you see how horrible they are. I changed them all out and hooked up the stock radio to hear how it sounded and it is nothing more than okay. You need to upgrade the head unit &/or add an amp and you will be okay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts