Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ford "Scorpion" whisperer...
14,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i switched to irridium sparkplugs and when starting the engine it starts to mis fire and the check engine light came on. I than changed back to original plugs but the problem is stil there. I run my tundra on propane also and runs oke but when burning petrol it suddenly started mis firing after plug change.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would check the wiring and plugs on all the coil packs. I bet one is unpluged, not seated, or has faulty wiring.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Do you know what the code is? how did you get this truck in the netherlands?
I'd be interested to know if it was difficult to import the Tundra.

I was in Amsterdam in April, I didn't see very many North American pick-ups, there were a few.

·
14,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I was in Amsterdam in April, I didn't see very many North American pick-ups, there were a few.

No it was not difficult at all i am even planning on getting me a '07 tundra and i think i have licenseplates for it in august '07.

I have a toy dealer that arranges everything for me i only have to pay the invoice.

I think if i do it myself it will be a lot cheaper but i don't have the time to do it.

So perhaps youcan help me with it.

·
14,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you know what the code is? how did you get this truck in the netherlands?
i don't have a code yet it now is weekend over here but that is the first thing i do on monday.

·
Registered
207 Posts
did you recheck the firing order of the plugs and make sure you didnt swap them during you sparkplug change? that would make it misfire.

·
14,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
did you recheck the firing order of the plugs and make sure you didnt swap them during you sparkplug change? that would make it misfire.
Yep i checked everything again took out all the plugs again and changed them with my old ones. But like i told i run my tundra with propane and it runs fine with it so i think it cannot be the ignition. Also checked all hoses and cleaned the butterfly of the throttlebody still no result. I think it has to do with a faulty gasoline injector. The wiring seems ok but perhaps i have damaged something when changing the plugs. I'm desperate because things happend al at the same time so it's very difficult to find out what went wrong.

·
14,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts

No it was not difficult at all i am even planning on getting me a '07 tundra and i think i have licenseplates for it in august '07.

I have a toy dealer that arranges everything for me i only have to pay the invoice.

I think if i do it myself it will be a lot cheaper but i don't have the time to do it.

So perhaps youcan help me with it.
What is the closest major city to you?

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Just make sure all of the coil packs are correctly plugged in and snug before going crazy.

·
14,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last monday they have read the code it was a random misfire. After changing the coils and checking the wiring i had the same misfire (same cilinders) Than this clever mechanic placed a screwdriver on the injector and layed his ear on it. I listend also and i can tell you the difference between a working and a broken injector is enormous. So there where 2 injectors not working properly. He said he couldn't do much about this because the signal they need is deliverd by the computer that also regulates the propane injection.

So i had to go to Rotterdam where the system was build. They checked it out and they came to the following conclusion. When the engine is cold it runs on petrol to make starting at low temps easyer. After heating up (40 celcius engine temp) it switches to propane automaticly by means of a relais.
After cooling down this relais is supposed to switch back to petrol. It didn't do that so being cold it ran on only six and when it switched back to propane it ran on all eight.

The relais was deliverd for free and my car is running as smooth as before.:tu:

Strange thing however that after replacing sparkplugs this problem occured.:confused:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Pretty cool, I'd be interested in hearing more about the propane setup. Why do you run it that way? Is it more efficient?

Sounds interesting...

·
14,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pretty cool, I'd be interested in hearing more about the propane setup. Why do you run it that way? Is it more efficient?

Sounds interesting...
Propane is less fuel efficient bud the cost of petrol in netherlands is a factor 3 higher. 0.46 € per liter propane and 1.35 € for gasoline octane 95 (that's the lowest octane we can get here) The propane setup uses approx. 10 to 15 % more fuel. With this new setup we have over here we even have a slightly increase of hp. This is because the system takes the same engine management system, and the propane is injected as a fluid so not as gas. The advantage is that it is very cold when it is being injected and that brings the extra hp.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Propane is less fuel efficient bud the cost of petrol in netherlands is a factor 3 higher. 0.46 € per liter propane and 1.35 € for gasoline octane 95 (that's the lowest octane we can get here) The propane setup uses approx. 10 to 15 % more fuel. With this new setup we have over here we even have a slightly increase of hp. This is because the system takes the same engine management system, and the propane is injected as a fluid so not as gas. The advantage is that it is very cold when it is being injected and that brings the extra hp.
o.k. math time

Propane .46/litre = .61 U.S. or .72 Cdn
Gasoline 1.35/litre = 1.80 U.S. or 2.11 Cdn

There's 3.7843 litres in a U.S. gallon

Propane = 2.31 U.S. per gallon
Gasoline = 5.11 U.S. per gallon

Does that sound right?

·
14,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
o.k. math time

Propane .46/litre = .61 U.S. or .72 Cdn
Gasoline 1.35/litre = 1.80 U.S. or 2.11 Cdn

There's 3.7843 litres in a U.S. gallon

Propane = 2.31 U.S. per gallon
Gasoline = 5.11 U.S. per gallon

Does that sound right?
It doesn't sound right, it is right. So you can see its more money efficient running on propane than with gasoline

1 - 18 of 18 Posts