Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have an on and off rubbing sound coming from my rear under and am having trouble determining the source. at first i thoght maybe the carrier bearing was drying up but i'm still not sold on that. i verified that all the u-joints were still good yesterday so now maybe i'm tinking i have a drum brake going bad maybe? the rub almost sounds like an air leak but my exhaust has no leaks, and the higher the rpms the faster the sound. any thoughts? truck is at 68k. thanks guys.

·
Registered
560 Posts
so i have an on and off rubbing sound coming from my rear under...
First answer: try baby powder?

OK, Ok, here's a better answer: might be a brake shoe dragging on the drum.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had the same sound for a while now. Mine sounds like a hand saw and it doesn't happen all the time. I can hear it from the rear of the truck and have checked brake shoes/drums, drained the diff (no shavings on magnet) and verified that nothing is rubbing externally. At this point all I can do is wait for it to get worse.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I have this same problem but it feels like its more up front. Im pretty sure its the carrier bearing as this is common if you have over 100,000 miles on your truck. when i tow my boat the vibration is worse. anybody know where to get the carrier bearing for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I sure hope so. That would be a much easier fix. To be honest, I have never been able to find it and it could very well be coming from directly under the cab.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts