Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just bought an 03' AC 4WD Tundra and am having an issue. The truck seems to vibrate and make a grumbling noise and increses when I make left turns. Its the loudest when I make long gradual sweeping turns at freeway speeds.

What do you think could be the cause of this problem. Thanks so much for any help fellas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I just noticed that there is a clunking noise if I come to a complete stop quickly. Not sure if these two problems are related. Thanks for the advice Shootist.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Check your rear brake drums, along with the things shootist mentioned. Mine was making a similar noise, so I cleaned up the rear brake drums (left side was sticking from a little rust), had new pads/boots put in them, and put new fluid in the rear differential. The combination of the three stopped the noise from occurring for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do TRD20. If i grab the top of the front drivers side tire and shake it back and forth it makes a sqeuaking noise. Ball joint maybe? The lower BJ's were replaced about 40k ago in the recall.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That could be it, but more likely its wheel bearings. Try to narrow down the location of where the sound is coming from (front or rear, left or right side), we'll be able to give better advice if you can try to narrow it down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It feels like its coming from the front drivers side wheel. I greased the driveshaft today and it didn't take care of the problem. The ball joints have a little grease coming out of them as well as the CV joints so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Maybe try lifting the front end off the ground if you have floor jacks and stands, and try rotating that tire to see if theres any problems with rotation or wobble

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I jacked the front wheels up and there was no play or wobble in any tire so its probabaly not the wheel bearings correct? I jacked the rear wheels up and turned the driveshaft by hand. Didn't really make any noise when turning. But..........If I tunrned the rear driveshaft very abruptly it would make a clunking noise similar to the one I hear when I stop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts