Toyota Tundra Forums banner

stripped torx screw in bed any ideas?

15K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  02TundraLTDTRD 
#1 ·
I'm trying to take these bolts out of my bed and one stripped.. FML!

Toyota charges $20 a bolt too!! does anyone know where I can get a similar size bolt for less or is this a "special" bolt that toyota makes?

further more, how do I get this huge bolt out of my bed now? I've cut a slit with my dremmel to use a flat head but I dont have one big enough and I really dont wanna buy one for this only reason.. I wouldnt really care about buying the kits because I can use them in the future but will those work on this huge bolt?

does anyone have any ideas?? drilling it out seems pretty far out of the question also.. its freakn huge and I dont know if thats even a good idea.. please help! thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Just go to your favorite hardware store and get the same size bolt with a standard head on the top. I have the dimensions written down somewhere I will have to look for. If they don't have it, get them at boltdepot.com.

#4 ·
Clamp a pair of vice-grips to the square end of a steel chisel and use it like a screwdriver. See if you can't scrank it out like that...

Sounds like a pretty good idea. Spray it from underneath with some PB Blaster a day
or two before trying to get it out. That may help.

John

#5 ·
Grind the head of the bolt off (washer protects bed), remove the other bolts and the bed. Then you will have a stub sticking up that you can use pliers or vice grips on. If you aren't removing the bed, if you know a mechanic, he should have some extractors that would make the job fairly simple.

#9 ·
awesome thanks guys! I ended up using some screw-out solution to losen it up a bit, and then used my dremmel to cut the slit in which I used a huge chisel and vice grips.. def took some time but I did it. My best bet is trying to find a new bolt without paying $$ for it.

I'm taking the bolts off to lay down some of that bedliner stuff like rhino liner.. but I heard it wasnt the greatest, does anyone have any recommendations? I got some stuff that was like $60 a can at auto zone and used it on the inside of my beds when I turned them into fiberglass beds, but I havent used the liner for actual work tho.. I'm kind of scared to find out how it lasts.

#10 ·
We used the herculiner stuff from autozone on a friend of mine's truck. Two things to keep in mind:

#1. Make sure your truck is in some type of climate controlled enviroment for at least two hours prior to applying the stuff. Humidity will bubble it, Dryness will crack it. It has to have a good amount of coolness and humidity value to dry properly.

#2. Get a cheap can of Napatha solvent. This is about some of the mildest solvent you can get that will not remove much paint. Go over the entire area with a good rag and wipe it down, working your way toward the rear. Any paint scuffs or raises will come through when you apply it, and will have difficulties in bonding. Some 300 grit sandpaper on any rusted spots doesn't hurt either.

We did this on my buddy's 2004 Tundra, and it has held up beautifully. Don't be skimpy with the stuff.

#11 ·
Whatever you replace that bed bolt with just make sure it has a rust resistant coating on it. Most underbody bolts from Toyota that have that grey look to them are rust resistant. If you thought that bolt was hard to get out with a stripped head, just imagine trying that when the entire bolt is rusted. Given your location I realize you dont get salt on the roads but any cheap bolt can still rust bad.

#12 ·
Pay the money for the factory bolt. I don't know if you ever plan to sell, but if you do, that cheap bolt is going to imply that you cheaped out on the rest of the truck too.

#13 ·
Far as the bolt, if you was wanting a direct replacement go to a industrial bolt store like fastenal. they have a location in Santa Cruz.

107 River Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
P: (831)458-3550
F: (831)458-3565
M-F 7:30am - 5:00pm

#14 ·
Cut a pretty good X in the head so it looks like a phillips and use an air hammer or air chissle to knock the head off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.