Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so yesterday I was doing a drain & fill on my 06 DC Tundra. After draining, I reinstalled the drain plug in the bottom of the pan. I started it by hand and threaded it most of the way, then with the torque wrench, I kept tightening it, but it never got tight. I can feel it tightening, then getting looser again, then tightening again. I'm assuming either the bolt or pan is stripped. I need to get this fixed asap, because the family is taking a road trip at the end of this week. It's not leaking now, but I don't want it to start 500 miles from home. What do I do? How do I fix this? Is this a common problem with these plugs/pans??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS- This is the trans pan I'm talking about. Forgot to put that in the paragraph.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had this happen on an oil drain plug. Go to a parts store like autozone and get a plug that is made for just this situation. The plug is a bit oversized with a cutting edge on the threads (or something like that). Kind of like a thread forming screw. Anyway, it worked for me and was dirt cheap. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll have to check that out. I tried to back out the plug and it's not coming out. I guess there's a nut welded inside or something, and it's broken loose I guess. I guess I need to drill it out?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Pull the pan back off and have the nut, or a new nut if it's damaged, re-welded. You'll have problems and fight it until you do.
Once it is drilled out what do you plan on using for threads?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so I would pull the pan via the pan bolts, while supporting the weight of the pan with something, so that the pan with fluid doesn't put a lot of stress on the remaining bolts. When it's down, pour out the fluid, use a wrench on the inside nut, and back out the drain plug. Have it welded back in place. Then use the oversized drain plug mentioned by 00ardnut to cut out the threads. I checked my local dealers and they want $111 for the pan and $28 for the gasket sealant. I really hope I don't have to go the replacement route, I don't have that kind of funds right now..... As far as my plan, does this sound about right? Anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Don't use an over size plug. If the nut in there is bad, buy a nut with the right threads and have it welded in. Make sure it is
thin enough for clearance if need be. Those self tapping oversized pan plugs are a short term fix. Drop all the bolts on the pan
but the leading edge. Leave those bolts loosened quite a bit and break the pan loose letting it drain from the rear as it drops
down. Then it will only have a small amount of oil to deal with when you pull it off.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
You're going to definitely drop the pan to do this right. Try www.toyotapartszone.com
I've had great luck with them. All OEM parts, less than the dealership. I looked
up the pan and through them it's $86.00. Even with shipping and a gasket sealant
that you can pick up at any auto parts store for much less than $28, it will
probably be less than going through the dealer.

You could also try www.car-part.com It will bring you to junk/scrap yards within
a certain mile radius of you.

John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kerryman71, thanks for the info. I will definitely be getting my parts from there if they're cheaper. I HATE my local stealership. From my experience with them, they know almost nothing about Toyotas, or any type of cars, which is weird for them being a Toyota dealer.... I went ahead and ordered the drain plug and washer so I can find a matching nut to be welded. So there's nothing special about the gasket sealant? Is there an advantage to this over a gasket? Is this just a basic gasket sealant?

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
The pan doesn't have a gasket, at least not on my 2002. You can go to
Auto Zone or somewhere similar and get a good rtv sealant/gasket maker.
Just make sure it's oil resistant. The benefit over a gasket is that it will
be less prone to leaking, as long as you put enough on. Good luck.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts