Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Strut spacers (Front end Lift) Pls. HELP

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Datzen 
#1 ·
Hi I am wanting to install strut spacers on the front of my 2001 Tundra to make it level with the Rear but I have a couple of questions, first of all do I need a 2 inch or a 3 inch spacer? Does anyone recommend a certain brand? Also will it cause my struts,balljoints and tie rods to wear out prematurely? Thx James

#3 ·
A spacer on top of your strut is only lifting the body, not suspension. The strut will take more abuse when it bottoms out. So not for off roading, and don't hit a big pot hole. Bilsteins 5100 would be a better choice. Question: why is the rear higher? is it lifted?

#6 ·
Hopefully you can see what I mean, it's sunny out today, but if you look at the running board it's pretty obvious, it's parked on a level surface, I also wonder how hard it would be to lower the rear end to make it level?Or is that a possibility?thx

#7 ·
Nope, not like mine. Your back height looks like mine, but defiantly not the front. Are the coil springs original? That would be my first guess and would get some new ones. Package deal, spring and shock already together, easy for you to install, dont even have to take the tire off. KYB at Rock Auto. Best shock for the buck.

#10 ·
Springs is what holds up the vehicle. So if I take the shocks off the back, it will still be sitting at normal height. (can't do this up front, without alot of work, but using rear as example.) It's been sitting on those for 19 years and bouncing for so many miles, yea they get tired.

#12 ·
have you made any decisions on this OP? I have an 04 2WD limited DC that is angled exactly like yours...im considering a 2.5" spacer up front, but wondering if i should just replace coil overs, as they have 178K on them....

#13 ·
Hi, I just installed the Bilstien 5100"s over the weekend and it's now nice and level, It rides and looks so much better, I reused the OEM Springs as they are heavy duty and nothing wrong with them, I used the #4 level on the shock which gave me a 2 inch lift as recommended by Bilstien, they give you instructions and a vehicle specific diagram, but they only give you the upper strut tower bushing so make sure you reuse your old lower bushing or you will probably have noises,took me about 4 hours for both sides,got the strut compressors on Amazon, I can send pics and info if you need anything, , ,
2nd vote for Bilsteins 5100. Spacers are cheaper up front but way more expensive in the long run. The rear being higher is pretty common in trucks (especially 2WD Tundras) unless it gets leveled out.
Yeah you were right about the Bilstien 5100, Truck is level now and handles the roads Alot better,thx again for the help, ,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.