Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have one for their truck? I was looking into getting a setup for my graduation present, but I wanted to see if someone else had one first. I know I will need to strengthen my engine with new pistons, injectors, etc. Mainly I was just wondering if anyone else had one yet or not. By the way, do you think it would be a good idea to go this route?

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Depending on how long you still want to drive your truck. any forced induction system will shorten your engine life. The manufactures goe through a TON of work to make it viable. Stronger tranny, bigger brakes, safer engine, lower boost levels ect... If this is a toy? go for it you will love it.

BTW, I do not have any kind of forced induction on my cars or truck so take what I said with a pinch of salt. (I have installed Turbos\SC on cars and trucks for some time though.....)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my dad buys new vehicles through his company every year, so he gets at least one new personal aka "sales" vehicle every year, so i really doubt i would HAVE to have my truck for more than 50,000 miles so its more of a toy than anything. I love the truck though, and i want to enjoy it as much as possible, and i think forced induction and the extra hp would help, but i dont want to be driving down the road and one day be broken down.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gorilla for all the info. I saw the rotrex superchargers on URD's website a while back i believe, but if im not mistaken(which i may be) it wasnt a whole kit, now i may be mistaken. The thing I have to remember though, if I am going to do this, then I cannot take any shortcuts or any easy ways out.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
hi they only make a univeral sts turbo now.
there is another kit from a differnet country
Search Results for "carracin.org"
or
www.rowtrex.com
made for the tundra.
they have piggie back for the ecu.

i have no idea what sts use's.
besides you need another gas tank. methanol i belive.
good luck, i wish you all the luck doing this.
gorilla

hey bro,

it's rotrex.com. they don't currently have a kit for the tundra, gen 1 or gen 2. they have kits for fj's, 4runners, and several other toyota's right now. their list seems to be growing lately though. these units operate at greater efficiencies than anything else out there. :tu: cheers!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
There was a STS kit for the Tundra and it was prototyped on my friends 02' Tundra a few years ago. He runs his at 6lbs and is still running the original tranny. He also had to change to a stronger rod. The Unichip handles the tuning. He seems pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks big-o. Were the rods the only thing he had to replace?

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
let me know if you need a Unichip to run the programing on this truck? I have a Unichip G-Serier that just came off my 02 tundra (used) I would like to get rid of because I am installing the BT UniQ model. Also I have pretty good contacts at Unichip in OR...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
yes, the rods were the only thing he upgraded but I'm not sure if he did the lextreme rods or the 1UZ's. He was trying to keep it reliable as it's a daily driver.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, I guess this is decision time hah. I haven't decided wether or not to put all my money toward performance or into the interior/exterior.

02TundraTRDLTD if i decide to do this i will let you know.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi make sure if you buy the STS kit, please do yourself a very big favor, & go to a shop that STS says is 1 of there sellers & installer's. this way you know they know how to do it.
also ask the shop how many they did,get proof. before you become there 1st 1 they installed.
i have a shop that has installed so many sts systems. but it's in south florida.
contact sts & as them directly who do they recommend in your area.
this way, sts told you to go there, if they have any issue's.
i didn't like the fact i needed another gas tank & it used methanol to help run the sts turbo.
so i wouldn't do it. so i went another way.
sadly we have little options.
the people who have trd s/c are lucky, they were available.
if you do turbo or s/c, make sure you complete it by up-grading your brakes, & your suspenion, etc.
there is more than just a bolt on turbo & or s/c. do it safely, do whatever you need to do, to make sure that extra power
doesn't effect the handling, braking. make sure your motor can take the boost. if you are going to run 4 psi's from what i have heard, no need for motor up-grade. but 4psi is nothing compared to some that run 9psi. thats a huge difference.
just make sure you don't have a set price, if you go full steam ahead, do it once & right.
this way you have a safe ride.

***"if you off road"***. the sts turbo is mounted in the rear under the tundra,
so it's possible to suck up whatever into your system.
no one has said that yet.
i belive thats the most important part, to think about, before you move foward.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
\this way, sts told you to go there, if they have any issue's.
i didn't like the fact i needed another gas tank & it used methanol to help run the sts turbo.
so i wouldn't do it. so i went another way.

What way did you end up going?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts