Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Trucks yesterday and they installed a Squires Turbo System (STS) kit on a 2001ish Tacoma and claimed a 50% power increase, so I went and checked out their website. While they don't make a kit specific to the 1st gen Tundra, they do have universal kits (both single and twin).

I was wondering, would it be a tremendously bad idea to put one of these kits on an '06 4.7L?

·
Registered
300 Posts
That kit would work in my Tundra, but I think 50% increase is a bit optimistic on 5 lbs of boost.

It's not a bad idea, but it is a lot of work and the chances of success are really low. Most outcomes I've seen with adding turbo or super chargers to NA engines is blowing them up one way or another...

Back to the show, I would love to see how long that 3.4 would last. They have the truck for a couple of seasons now and I would like to see if we can use that e locker in our differential.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Its a nice idea. And I'm sure the motor could handle 5lbs of boost.

·
1,770 Posts
These engines have connecting rods from the factory that do not get along too well with forced induction.
And that's why I'm running a TRD supercharger.
Making 415-430 crank HP with all my aftermarket parts.
Generating 7.5 lbs of boost.
With 8.5 lbs of boost on the top end.

The truck detonated its a s s off for 8K miles before I got the truck professionally tuned.

And I've been beating on the truck everyday/night for the last 30K miles with the supercharger installed. I got no problems here. Just lots of fun and loving the every minute of driving my truck listening to the great whine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Check the previous threads. 2000-2004 Tundras can handle forced induction, but the '05 and '06 years have the weak rods. That is why TRD doesn't make a supercharger for them, only for the '00-'04. When you bend a conn rod on an '05 or '06, rebuild it using the Lexus conn rods and you should be fine.

·
1,770 Posts
Check the previous threads. 2000-2004 Tundras can handle forced induction, but the '05 and '06 years have the weak rods. That is why TRD doesn't make a supercharger for them, only for the '00-'04. When you bend a conn rod on an '05 or '06, rebuild it using the Lexus conn rods and you should be fine.
They all have the same rods dude. 2uz-fe rods: 00-06
Lexus 1UZFE, 2UZFE and 3UZFE rod
Get your facts down before giving suggestions on Forced Induction upgrades and knowing the motor.
And if anyone take the time to replace rods.. replace em with Forged rods and JE pistons. TTC Performance offers upgrades.
1uz-fe rods aren't that much better if you're taking any time to "rebuild it"

The supercharger was just discontinued because Toyota/TRD and Magnuson Supercharger who all in conjunction/oversight on the making of the TRD blower didn't have equal fuel distribution down.
They used a 9th injector design on the 00' - 02's. 9th and 10th on the 03' - 04's and the design of this sucks.
It should have had 8 main primaries upgraded as the new 5.7L blower does. Intercooler and so on.
Or thermal barrier coatings inside the rotors/blower housing to keep the temps down. Its not new technology.
They had the means back then. Instead they decided to spray fuel into the rotors for "an intercooling effect" as they stated all those years ago.
They chose to supplement fuel into 8 cylinders using 1 or 2 injectors. It was all a very stupid idea.
Also the stock Fuel pump isn't large enough as I've been seeing when modifying the engine for more HP/TQ past what was the 360HP they claimed.
More fuel is needed when throwing on headers & Aftermarket intake which ups the boost levels.

Next...People started modifying the motor: Putting on different Intakes messing with the MAF sensor in certain cases, headers, mufflers changing the Air/Fuel ratios leading to detonation.
My ignition timing changed from a simple muffler swap. Saw this on the OBDII scanner. Loss of power and detonation came back.
Had to re-tune with a Unichip instead. Some Installs weren't done correctly at the dealerships where they forgot to install a simple red wire on the piggyback into the Stock ECU wire.
People weren't running the right IK22 plugs sometimes as they didn't even provide this in the kit. They'd run stock plugs which are one heat range higher than what was required.
Basic Rule: One step colder heat range on a supercharger installation/forced induction is required.
Some TRD piggybacks were failing leaving the truck pouring in fuel until it hydro-locked from massive/excess fuel dumping into the cylinders.
People put on over-sized and or heavier tires without correcting the Speedometer signal which changes the LOD scaling the TRD piggyback uses for modification of the MAF signals correcting the transition into open loop from closed loop.
Problem with this is you're going into "open loop" later than you should because you're going faster than the speedo is reading/telling you.
200-300 RPM's off a map scale is all it takes because of larger tires without a speedo correction for ignition timing retard, air/fuel ratio changes can throw you into detonation from lean ratios.
And most people wouldn't know what damage they were doing until it popped.

Overall you gotta know the facts. Toyota pulled the plug on the 00-04 superchargers as things were getting expensive for them replacing engines under warranty.
They even now have problems with people putting on different tires on the TVS series 6th Gen: 2300cc Eaton TRD supercharger now for the 5.7L.
People these days are not knowing how things work. They just assume it should already work.
Even when they're changing their truck beyond what the tune was originally designed for ... and that's.... a stock truck. Stock everything.
If anyone wants to modify the Tundra with a supercharger/forced induction. Get it properly tuned for it. It WILL last.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Do a search of the site and you'll find many people who were using forced induction without any internal engine mods and suffered failures.

·
1,770 Posts
Do a search of the site and you'll find many people who were using forced induction without any internal engine mods and suffered failures.
And the reasons I stated are clear why.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts