Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
A year or more back there was a guy out of Houston that had installed one on his truck with serious performance improvement, but ultimately he broke his toy. If you search for the thread I'm sure you'll find it. He claimed to have beaten everything that crossed his path in various street races.

I find the system interesting, but the airfilter under the truck bothers me.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Well You Have A O1 Tundra.. The Sts Turbo Is A Good Choice But Your Better Off Going With A Supercharger. Less Issues And If Your Tundra Has High Miles A Turbo Or Supercharger Will Most Likely Do More Damage Then Good. If Your Looking For More Power. Do Exhaust, Intake, Headers, Bigger Ing. Wires And A Bottle Of Nos And A Bigger Fuel Pump And Gears Too. Less Money And Maybe More Horse Power Too..
You have no idea what you're talking about. Stay in school.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/80013-mgm-is-hungry/

You should follow some of that guys posts/threads since he's one of the few willing to be a guinea pig for really modding a Tundra.

Each form of forced induction has its ups and downs. Personally, I love the pull from a turbo. But a supercharger would be less maintenance.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Each upgrade would require regular maintenance...And a turbo would be just as costly in maintaining as the supercharger. The only difference is the initial cost whereas the S/C (which isnt made anymore) could be had for roughly 2500 while I think that STS costs upwards of 4K. You can install forced induction with no problem as long as you address fuel delivery and tunability issues. More air means a need for more fuel.

Turbos are by far more tunable and you are able to get alot more out of them. It really depends on what you are looking for...Serious speed or a compromise of toyota parts and descent performance from a s/c

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Please do enlighten me on how a roots type TRD supercharger, or even a centrifugal supercharger require just as much, or more maintenance than a turbo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
...If Your Tundra Has High Miles A Turbo Or Supercharger Will Most Likely Do More Damage Then Good. If Your Looking For More Power...A Bottle Of Nos And A Bigger Fuel Pump...
oh yea, high mileage engines love nitrous to raise the compression and blow the rings right off the pistons. :eek:

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Does anyone have a STS Turbo system on there Tundra? I have a 2001 Tundra 2wd. I'm looking into one.
I have one. Installed it in 2004 on a 2003 4.7L. It's a Precision/Garret GT35 .68 hot, .60 cold with electronic boost controller, hi pressure fuel pump, blow-off valve, Vortech fuel regulator, fuel timing calibrator, etc.

Jeff

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have one. Installed it in 2004 on a 2003 4.7L. It's a Precision/Garret GT35 .68 hot, .60 cold with electronic boost controller, hi pressure fuel pump, blow-off valve, Vortech fuel regulator, fuel timing calibrator, etc.

Jeff
WHAAAT?

how could you do that, i almost climaxed. You didnt give us any specs, what does it run/ outrun and pics PLZ

Ive been to the sts page recently and it looks like they discontinued the tundra turbo and replaced it with a generic kit.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Please do enlighten me on how a roots type TRD supercharger, or even a centrifugal supercharger require just as much, or more maintenance than a turbo.

Its all about tuning...It takes time to get it perfect on forced induction no matter the component. Bearings can go in the S/C especially a roots like the TRD unit because the nose cone is not supported. This puts stress on the unit. Believe me changing a pulley on a supercharger is a helluva lot harder than turning up a boost controller. Neither unit will need general maintenance although I on the other hand have had my charger completely rebuilt after I bought it just because I never trust used components. It is basically a new unit except for the housing. Hence the maintenance there with rotors and the like (albeit the guy that had it before me was an idiot). The gears inside the nose cone are also prevalent to wear after time. Im just wondering what experience you have had that makes you think turbos are so maintenance prone and s/cs arent?

·
Registered
660 Posts
SOrry to throw this in there but am I one of the longest lasting members on here? Feb 2002!!!! just noticed :devil:

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Its all about tuning...It takes time to get it perfect on forced induction no matter the component. Bearings can go in the S/C especially a roots like the TRD unit because the nose cone is not supported. This puts stress on the unit. Believe me changing a pulley on a supercharger is a helluva lot harder than turning up a boost controller. Neither unit will need general maintenance although I on the other hand have had my charger completely rebuilt after I bought it just because I never trust used components. It is basically a new unit except for the housing. Hence the maintenance there with rotors and the like (albeit the guy that had it before me was an idiot). The gears inside the nose cone are also prevalent to wear after time. Im just wondering what experience you have had that makes you think turbos are so maintenance prone and s/cs arent?
The nose drives do wear out, I'll give ya that, but they last quite a long time. My experience comes from a TRD S/C on a 3.4 V6 which was based on the Eaton M62 roots type. The nose drive and all components were holding just fine for the 55,000 miles that I put on it. I never even had to change the belt the entire time. I also ran that truck HARD. I used URD's Speed Unlimiter and was constantly running boost racing about everyone I could. I swear that truck just kept on taking it like it enjoyed the abuse.

Turbo's require more general upkeep in my opinion due to tapping oil lines. Those lines have to be watched and they get pretty hot. Your oil usually needs to be replaced in the engine at shorter intervals if your pushing the car hard as well. Turbo's do develop shaft play after time as well.

All in all, my general opinion is that you can just take a roots type TRD S/C and slap it on, and with a turbo its a bit more complicated, but as I said before in a different thread, I'd take a turbo anyday. The pull from full spooling just makes me smile like a kid again. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts