Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in the middle of my timing belt/water pump replacement and I can't get the crank pulley bolt off. I've got most of the dis-assembly complete but have spent the last 2.5hrs trying to break the crank bolt free. I've tried a 1/2in drive impact and a breaker bar with a strap wrench to use as counter leverage, and no luck. I've heard of bracing a breaker bar under the frame and "bumping" the starter to break the bolt free. Anyone tried this? It makes me a little nervous doing this with the whole front of the engine disassembled. I'm assuming I should re-connect the timing sensor, and disconnect the ignition coils (8)? Any other methods or special tools for removing the bolt? Any advice is much appreciated!

·
Registered
691 Posts
i haven't tried it because an impact worked easily for me- but bumping the starter with the cheater bar against the frame like you said is supposed to be the option if an impact wouldn't cut it. it has worked for others.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, I recently did the timing belt change and bumping the starter was how I got it loose. Just make sure you have the cheater bar against the correct rotation. There was a loud pop and it was scary but it worked like a champ! Good luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bumping the starter worked like a charm! It was a little scary but I trusted what I read on TS and turned the key. It broke loose immediately! Now back to my timing belt/water pump replacement. Writeup to come......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts