Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished experimenting with my truck...i found a HUGE empty parking lot here in town and here's what i did:

I got the truck up to 40 mph, held the gas pedal in that position, and killed the engine. (No matter how hard i tried i couldn't get the key to turn to the steering wheel lock position with the tranny in either drive or neutral...good thing lol.) With the engine off, my power steering lasted about 3 seconds and slowly got stiffer, but still manageable. My brakes functioned totally normal and brought my truck to a quick stop. I even pumped them 3 times just to see if they lost power, but not at all. Once i was at a complete stop though, they took a LOT of effort to apply! So basically this beast of ours handles really well not only in normal driving, but also in a situation like this (how sick is that lol? :devil:) and i'm glad i tried this out. It makes me really confident that i could bring it to a safe stop in the very rare event that the gas pedal actually did get stuck...at the first sign of trouble i would just cut the engine and guide my truck to the side of the road...problem solved lol...i now love this truck even more lol.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
well goodie goodie gum drops for you. :) no seriously, we all know we can stop our trucks in that event. we all also know u cant turn the key to lock if its not in park. we've had cars before. :)

also for reference, car and driver did a whole series of tests on new cars by going like 70 and then pinning the throttle and keeping it floored and stopping to see if the cars brakes could overcome the engines and they all did. some of them even had the same stopping distances or shorter than their competition has.

but anyway, back to what u are discussing, people drove cars and trucks w/o power brakes and steering for years.....they take more effort but it works. no biggie.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just curious what would happen cuz all the stuff you read online always says try not to shut off the engine unless absolutely necessary cuz you lose all your power assist...it was pretty epic having no power steering lol but no power brakes sucks! I know... i'm just a retarded noob lol...one of my best friends who's 19 just got his license and i took him with me for this and he's like dude use ur ipod and post this on TS right now...thought we were so cool haha

·
Registered
110 Posts
well goodie goodie gum drops for you. :) no seriously, we all know we can stop our trucks in that event. we all also know u cant turn the key to lock if its not in park. we've had cars before. :)

also for reference, car and driver did a whole series of tests on new cars by going like 70 and then pinning the throttle and keeping it floored and stopping to see if the cars brakes could overcome the engines and they all did. some of them even had the same stopping distances or shorter than their competition has.

but anyway, back to what u are discussing, people drove cars and trucks w/o power brakes and steering for years.....they take more effort but it works. no biggie.
The smiley faces don't really cut it!! You have a smart *** comment most of the time!!!!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I was just curious what would happen cuz all the stuff you read online always says try not to shut off the engine unless absolutely necessary cuz you lose all your power assist...it was pretty epic having no power steering lol but no power brakes sucks! I know... i'm just a retarded noob lol...one of my best friends who's 19 just got his license and i took him with me for this and he's like dude use ur ipod and post this on TS right now...thought we were so cool haha
no dude...the one who thought he was cool was i found a video of a kid trying to get his dodge caravan out of a backyard and u can hear his buddy who is filming it say "this is totally going on the chryslerminivan forum" hahahahahahahahhaha

u aint retarded....

people who make comments about people making smart azz comments are retarded. :) oh wait. :) :):):):):):):):):):)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's all good man...actually me and devin cracked the **** up when we read the goodie goodie gum drops line...you reminded us of our boss at work cuz he always has a "smart" comment like that to throw our way whenever we start to think we're King Sh*t lol...he's chill as f*** though haha :D :tu:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
seems like it would be easier to just bump into neutral rather trying to kill the engine.:):):):):):):):):):):):):)
Yeah that's what i thought, but then i read posts on here that said it's bad on ur engine if you do that at high speeds...???

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no dude...the one who thought he was cool was i found a video of a kid trying to get his dodge caravan out of a backyard and u can hear his buddy who is filming it say "this is totally going on the chryslerminivan forum" hahahahahahahahha...
07DC can you post up a link or url to that vid? Cuz you just know we gotta see that s*** now :D

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
seems like it would be easier to just bump into neutral rather trying to kill the engine.:):):):):):):):):):):):):)
Yeah that's what i thought, but then i read posts on here that said it's bad on ur engine if you do that at high speeds...???
Nah, not that bad for the engine (for a short duration)...we have a limiter and the revs just bounce off it.
I reviewed the Neutral bump with the wife:ballchain: this weekend on the way to get a truck load of firewood. About 65 mph, floored it, bump into N, truck screams "whaaa, whaaa, whaaa" off the limiter, I hit the brakes to show her you can keep control. She says "I know all this":blah:, I say..."It saves lives to review every now and again":angel:. I did NOT get a :sing: for saving her life.:td:

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):sleep:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...About 65 mph, floored it, bump into N, truck screams "whaaa, whaaa, whaaa" off the limiter...
Haha sick i deff gotta try that then!! :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
If a man says something in the forest and there is no woman there to here him is he still wrong?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yep cant be sure till ya try it, good for you, I did a good cleaning and checked to be sure that there wasn't any moisture in the carpet/floorboard this weekend from all the rain and snow we have been getting,,, all seems fine,,,, even the el cheapo gas pedal unit

·
Registered
356 Posts
"If a man says something in the forest and there is no woman there to here him is he still wrong? "

and yep he is for sure wrong, he just dosn't know it yet!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
A Smart*** comment isn't necessarily a Texas thing. Its a cop thing. If they had personalities and brains, they'd do something else. They don't, so they can't.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
A Smart*** comment isn't necessarily a Texas thing. Its a cop thing. If they had personalities and brains, they'd do something else. They don't, so they can't.
:rolleyes: ........................................

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i spent about 15 min try in find that darn minivan video....if i find it ill post it. it was emailed to me as a link so its gotta be here someplace haha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts