Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I tried searching the forum and was unable to find what I am experiencing. I am sure it is in here, i am just not sure where.

Problem: Occasionally I am unable to remove the key from the ignition on my 2010 Tundra. I have discovered that if i wiggle the column shifter (gear shift) up and down I am then able to remove the key. It has been this way for a few weeks and honestly not a big deal. However today I shifted into D and the engine just revved up like it was in neutral. Shifter back to park, then D again and all worked as expected.

The weird neutral thing combined with the key stuck until the gear shift is bumped seems to point that something is not fully engaging with the shifter. Am I correct, completely wrong, close but no cigar? Can someone with more knowledge than I point me in the right direction please. I am pretty handy and not afraid to replace things if they need it, just want to replace the proper parts.

Thanks a ton!

Matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additional research has showed that it may be the transmission control switch or the ignition control switch (and these may be the same thing, the internet is full of both great and terrible info)

Hopefully I can get a confirmation one way or another. Thanks again for any info.

Matt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Additional research has showed that it may be the transmission control switch or the ignition control switch (and these may be the same thing, the internet is full of both great and terrible info)

Hopefully I can get a confirmation one way or another. Thanks again for any info.

Matt
Hi I just went through the same problem with my 2012, i took the housing off of the steering column, there is a small white gear that connects to the gear shifter, I sprayed a dry rifle cleaning lube on the shifter part and white plastic piece...i was getting ready to go to the dealer as it is really frustrating.. Its been two weeks i have not had a stuck key since hope it helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts