Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 4Runner, 4WD, V8 ... 80,000 miles ... got a weird problem.

When I creep forward or backwards w/ the wheels turned hard to the left or right, there is a vibration that feels almost like a very low idle. Thing is, the idle is rock solid and right where it should be. If I step on the brake and come to a complete stop, no vibration.

Dealership is so far stumped. Could this be a bad transmission?

Any ideas? Anybody with a similar issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problems w/ the wheel straight ... completely normal. Dealership was able to reproduce but not reliably enough to diagnose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, it's not really a noise but a vibration. it's as though the engine is idling too low and ready to stall ... it's that sort of vibration. it can be felt through the floor, seat, and steering wheel but only when the wheel is turned pretty hard in one direction or another.

for a while, i thought it might be a bind ... the classic 4wd bind on dry pavement, but it really seems to be more of a vibration ... picture a manual transmission right before you stall it.

it's definitely related to the wheels moving. it won't do it at a standstill.

for a long time, it could only be felt in reverse ... in recent days i am beginning to feel when moving forward (u-turn or hard parking lot turn).

thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Probably the transfer case. The v8s are full time 4wd. When you have the wheel turned and going slow the front is turning at a different speed than the rear. The open diff should compensate for that, but you can still get some binding. That is probably what you are feeling. See what happens when you lock the center diff or try the same on sand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts