Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a dumb question about my new truck. I just picked up an 07 Tundra DC 4x4 with the 4.7 V8 in it. I noticed that it does not have a tow/haul button on it. Is there any reason that it would not be there? Is this something that only comes with the 5.7 or is it an option that is not on my truck??

Thanks in advance for any help on this..

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
OK, I have a dumb question about my new truck. I just picked up an 07 Tundra DC 4x4 with the 4.7 V8 in it. I noticed that it does not have a tow/haul button on it. Is there any reason that it would not be there? Is this something that only comes with the 5.7 or is it an option that is not on my truck??

Thanks in advance for any help on this..
Actually not at all a dumb question.

To the best of my knowledge, only the new 6 speed automatic has the tow/haul mode (and associated tow/haul switch). However, as you are surmising, a check of the Tundra spec page on the Toyota website shows the 6 spd tranny is only offered with the new 5.7L engine...the 4.7L V8 (and 4.0L V6) apparently continue to only get the 5 spd tranny that was introduced with the '05 models.

The 5 spd tranny that you seemingly got is a traditional (Toyota) automatic...it's basically a 4 primary gear transmission with a single overdrive gear (which you can lock out during towing by pushing the button on the end of the trans select lever). Although requiring more manual intervention than the new 6 spd, the 5 spd is an extremely reliable unit that works well for towing. By all reports, it does a good job of keeping the engine in an optimal torque range...maybe not as optimally as the new 6 spd does, but still quite well.

And in case you're feeling a bit deprived, just remember that those of us who have '04 and older Tundras have to make do with only a 4 speed automatic (3 regular gears plus overdrive). :cry: :p And locking out OD is strongly recommended for towing...especially for those with the '02s and older. But somehow our trucks do a decent job of towing....though admittedly the engine is not in its best power band at all times. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick relpy and the info. I was thinking that it might have something to do with the 6 speed and the 5.7.

I am ready to get my boat behind this thing to see how it does. I have been towing a 4000 pound boat with a 99 tahoe for the last few years. I am excited to see the results....

Again...:ts:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Thanks for the quick relpy and the info. I was thinking that it might have something to do with the 6 speed and the 5.7.

I am ready to get my boat behind this thing to see how it does. I have been towing a 4000 pound boat with a 99 tahoe for the last few years. I am excited to see the results....

Again...:ts:
If you had the 5.7 L in the tahoe, you will be very pleased!

If you had the 5.3, you won't see much of a difference in power. ( I don't think you will )
My experience was with the 03 tahoe & my 02 sequoia. So i could be wrong but i do know the 5.7 was a dog in 99-2000 year models.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i do know the 5.7 was a dog in 99-2000 year models.
You are not kidding about that. I am thinking this weekend I will get the boat out and pull it around....just for grins and giggles.

I am still wondering about that stupid tow/haul button. I called the dealer today and they did not seem to know an answer either. I think I will call another dealer.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has it occured odd to anyone that the tow/haul button light comes on in one of the right console pods? it seems to me it should turn on next to the tranny temp guage and tach. where you'd be looking while towing.

so the tow/haul button, does it lock out gear 6? Ive towed once and the way i drove it was to turn on the tow from a stop and once on the interstate at speed, aroud 65, I'd turn off the tow/haul and just let it roll. I pulled my old car on a full car dolly at 70-80 very easily for 250 miles. Hardly knew I was towing anything. is that they way to use this tow/haul button? thoughts from the towing crowd?

·
Registered
115 Posts
And locking out OD is strongly recommended for towing...especially for those with the '02s and older. But somehow our trucks do a decent job of towing....though admittedly the engine is not in its best power band at all times. ;)
I have been towing a small travel trailer for several years, first with a Tacoma V6 and now with a V-8 Tundra. Both have power enough to tow the trailer across Kansas in overdrive but after 30,000 miles of experimentation, I am convinced that my best gas mileage is achieved with the OD locked out. Kansas is not as flat as you might think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts