Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the sensors called that monitor tire pressure? I bought a salvaged truck and was told the one that was not working needed to be programmed by the dealership but was going to cost $95 to do so the guy didn't have it done. Turns out it is broke and needs to be replaced. I took the truck to Tire Kingdom for an alignment today; the tech hooked up some sort of machine and said that it wasn't picking up the right rear. He said it was either broke or the battery was dead and needed to be replaced... Thought I would look for on one ebay before talking with the dealer.

Thanks... Sorry for the ramble above!

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Called TPMS sensor. Stands for "Tire Pressure Monitor System".

Steel and alloy wheels have different sensor. Once you know what you actually need, check the various board classifieds or even ebay to pick up an extra sensor.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
AND... the new sensor will need to be programmed into the ECU so write down the ID number on the new sensor. Some tire shops can do it but a lot of them can't. You may have to take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Called Tire Kingdom and they want $130 for the sensor and to install it... Is that a fair price?

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Seems a bit high but not completely out of line.
Make sure that they will either enter the ID number in the ECU or pay for the dealer to do it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
^That is a little steep. I remember spending about 80 each on mine. But then again, this was with my RX8. I'm trying to look for the place where I got mine, this site had the best prices when I was looking for the replacements.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^That is a little steep. I remember spending about 80 each on mine. But then again, this was with my RX8. I'm trying to look for the place where I got mine, this site had the best prices when I was looking for the replacements.
I'll take any info you can give me brother! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
397 Posts
^Ahhh, I just saw that-- my bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts