Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting the demsions to the back of the truck if anyone has them. Im building a custom box for the truck. I going to do 2 kicker cvx 10" subs on the left and the right and my amp rack is going to be in the middle. Now I dont know how others have done this before im sure that im going to remove the plastic storage behind the back seats. If anyone can help me with this info to do so it would help. :ts:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm not sure if I posted dimensions on my cardomain but I built boxes...to be honest...I don't think Id do it again...I've built 4 and thats plenty...

I saw a site that sold them for like 150 which is kinda pricey but if your not good with the wood work it might not be a bad way to go...I hated every minute of building mine...

Kai

·
Registered
355 Posts
OK here you go but this is the last time i post this i have lost count of how many time i have put this up.
I feel like those were the dimensions I built my first box off of and it didnt fit very well...although I could have put it in wrong...who knows...it was a bitch to build none-the-less

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you guys is there any info or pros or cons that you guys can give. Im doing the biggest audio set up that ive ever done. So any info would be great and thanks.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks you guys is there any info or pros or cons that you guys can give. Im doing the biggest audio set up that ive ever done. So any info would be great and thanks.
take your time if you go the route of building it...i make it sound worse than it was...all in all I had a great time with my friends doing it...

Also, pay attention to electricity...it hurts...

check mounting depth on the subs...don't wanna build the boxes and not have the right subs...

good luck

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you're still interested I have several pics in my photo gallery of the box I built. I also did a complete write up with pics here. The back dimension of 9-3/8" that 01gsxr1 has on his box layout would work better than the 10" I show on mine. My box fits TIGHT between the cross bar and the floor. An extra 5/8" would make putting the box in place much, much easier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do i need to buy to seal it with? Thank for the pictures they help. Im using kicker comp cvx 10". Heres the specs volume need is .8 ft3. The box dimensions are A. 13.5x13.5 B. 13.5x10.125 C. 12.5x10.125. If you guys can let me know if this work please let me know.

·
Registered
490 Posts
You can seal it with any type of silicone. I just happened to have some colored laying around and used it. Typically I use clear.

You'll never fit that box behind the seats. The box has to be made like mine and 01gsxr1's. You have to have the notch in the back because of the crossbar going across the rear of the cab. Building any box for that sub is going to be tough to fit in. That sub requires 5-15/16" of mounting depth. My eD sub required 5" and you can see from my pics there's only about a 1/2" of clearance between the magnet and the back of the box. You'd need to build a box a full 1" deeper than mine and it's a TIGHT fit to get mine to slide behind the seat now. You might be able to gain the 1" that you need, but you'll likely have to remove the seat, put the box in and then put the seat back in place. I built my box with 1/2" MDF just to save as much space as possible.

And if you build a box like the one we have, you're gonna need to make it a good bit wider. You sub needs .8 cu ft of airspace, ideally. The box I have is like .42 cu ft.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello guys i am a new member and i just have a couple questions for ibleedblue...how does that sub of yours sound in that box you built? I extremely enjoy car audio..i actually work for an a/v store installing and i have heard great stuff about ed subs but not in my particular truck...i am def. putting two subs in and i am having a hard time deciding of two or four....two tens or four eights....i am building a box like yours so i would like your opinion bc it looks like you knew what you were doing!! thanks B-RAD

·
Registered
490 Posts
For my musical tastes (mostly rock, some pop) the sub sounds awesome in that box! If you listen to mostly hip hop, you'll probably a little disappointed in the bottom end. That said, my previous setup when I had a car was two 12" subs so that's what my comparison is to. Obviously the 12's could go lower than a single 10. This box is just the right size for the sub based on eD's specs. I did stuff it full of polyfill just to make sure it would act right.

I had an Infinity sub prior to the eD, and the eD blows the Infinity out of the water in terms of sound quality and the ability to go low. I'm pushing it with about 650W, so I'm getting everything possible out of it. I'd love to be able to use the something from their ov line to go even louder and deeper, but there's just not enough mounting depth. I'm contemplating doing a setup with an eD 12" sub somewhere down the line.

If you haven't yet, you should check out the Tacoma forum over at toyotanation.com. There's a huge audio thread over there and several people have done a setup like you're talking about doing. The only issue seems to be mounting the amp without taking out the carseat hook(s). For me, I couldn't remove the hooks because I have one kid now and plans for another one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey thanks alot man i really appreciate it....yeah i will probably end up cutting off the tops of the hooks bc i am 19 yrs old and have nooooo pland of having a kid soon....so yeah im not too worried about the hooks if i can get a lil more airspace. o yes i will consider the ed subs and i will repost with pics when i finish my project!! Thanks again - B-RAD:tu:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello again ibleedblue...i cannot find that toyotanation audio thread liek you said...i found a lot of audio stuff just not a specific tacoma category or anything...could you post the actual site if it is not too much of a pain!! Thanks man! B-RAD P.S. i ordered my subs today at work....4 dual 4 ohm 500 watt max 250rms MA audio 8" subs...26.99 on clearance from my distributor couldnt go wrong for the price!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well i have finished my box for the four 8" MA subs rated at 250 RMS each and i put them on a 2000 watt earthquake amp...and let me tell you something it is probably the worst sounding **** i have ever heard...i will never ever ever buy from MA again!! i checked my box specs like 30 times i even calculated the speaker displacement and everything and it is to perfect specs for the subs...so now i just have that amp on an MTX sledgehammer 10" 9500 sub sitting on my backseat for a lil temporary bass ...and it sounds great...just takes up one seat in the back....o well for now...not sure what to do with the box now...thinking about trying 4 8" kicker comps or compvr's and see how that sounds but the box is bad ***....ill get some pics!!

B-RAD

·
Registered
5 Posts
by the way just a lil friendly advice there is no way in hell you are putting cvx behind the rear seat of a 2005-2007 tacoma....no way!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts